+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Those who have a nanny or had one?

Please can you tell me what a reasonable hourly rate is (not living in) and what you expected them to do that wasn't taking care of baby... (Eg when child is asleep did you ask them to do washing or tidying?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was a nanny for a family who lived in our street I would have her 3 yr old 3 days per week and her 5yr old after school hours I was paid $17/hr and they provided food for myself as well. I was expected to do all meals(for the children) including breakfast, snacks, lunch and lunchbox for 5yr old and prepare a dinner for the children, some household duties including children's washing and folding, washing of dishes (was only ever what I or the children used) bed making for children and general tidy up after play or craft activities.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashley595 For This Useful Post:

PurpleButterfly4  (05-04-2013),Tamtam  (05-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We pay ours $20 per hour. At the moment it's on a fairly casual basis but we had one last year for 1.5 days per week just minding 2 year old DS. Didn't ask her to do any housework other than keeping the place tidy as she went along, just cleaning up after meals and play activities basically.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bitterpure For This Useful Post:

PurpleButterfly4  (05-04-2013),Tamtam  (05-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would offer $20 an hour. I wouldn't expect additional work on top of looking after the children, aside from cleaning their messes as they go along.

Waahing and tidying etc. would be a cleaners role, in my view.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (05-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depending on qualifications and what is asked of them can be anywhere between $18/hour to $25/hour.
    I have a friend who is paid $20/hour for just watching the kids and taking them to and from school.

She also has other jobs where she is required to cook and clean on top of her normal childcare duties which she is paid $25/hour.

For family and friends she will charge $18/hour.
    But she has alot of first aid for children and senior first aid and mandatory reporting training hours and certs. in childcare and education.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Missemzy For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (05-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used to be a nanny when I was at uni for two children from different families! Both families paid me $70 a day which works out roughly to be $17 per hour for eight hours. I used to prepare all the meals for the girls and clean up after them. The girls used to sleep for about 2-3 hours in the afternoon and I always used to fold washing or unpack the dishwasher. I often used to ask the mother to leave things to do!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsboyts For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (05-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Strange question too then. The nanny I'm thinking if interviewing came highly recommended. But she is 30 weeks pregnant. I'm hoping to meet with her and have her come maybe once a week until I get used to her. I should add that my baby is special needs. She is hoping to nanny where she can bring her baby when she's born which doesn't bother me at all as my little on really needs to have one on one care not childcare because of lower immunity. Would the charge of $17-20 per hour still be reasonable if she's also having her bub with her?
    Do you think she would still be able to care for my bub well if she has a newborn? (Think her bub would be a couple of months and mine would be 6 months old).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wouldn't hire a nanny who is bringing along her newborn to look after my very small bub. Ultimately her bub will come first. I'm all her mummy nannies but not with 2 babies so young.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good point waterlily. I'm in a quandary. I want someone who can handle dd medical issues and I believe she can. I'm not sure about her bub coming etc. she has a lot of experience. Perhaps I shouldn't even interview her?!?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hiring a 'Mummy Nanny' is different from hiring a Nanny. If I have someone coming to look after my kids and the kids are sick I let the person know and they can either choose to come or not. And if the babysitter is sick they let me know and so I can change plans. If you hire a 'Mummy Nanny' if your child is sick then it has ramifications for her newborn and vice versa. Sure, illness isn't *that* common, but it is something you mentioned as a concern.

The other issue and maybe someone can help here, is that most workplaces require a Doctor's Certificate to let a pregnant woman work past 34 or 36 weeks (depending on the industry) and I think a Doctors Certificate is also needed to work before 6 weeks after delivery. There's no way I'd be asking a woman who has a 10 day old bub to come & Nanny for me. So, I'd be making sure you know what your legal obligations are regarding 'compulsory' leave around the birth of her baby.

By all means interview her and discuss the issues. I don't know your situation and what you actually want and therefore how flexible you can be and obviously the more flexible you can be the easier this will be. But basically she will be managing 2 non-mobile babies, one who she may be breastfeeding, so it will be challenging and not something that a lot of people will manage easily.