+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Weaning from formula to cows milk

Hi all. I have a 15 month old who still has a bottle of formula first thing in the morning, and last thing at night.
    How do I change him onto cows milk? I've look at old topics but they are a couple of years old so wanted fresher advice.
    Is it best to straight swap?
    If he has his bottle in the am half an hour before breakfast do I just continue this but with warm milk instead? Or should he have breakfast and then milk?
    At night do I just swap as well?
    Do I keep it in a bottle so it's still sort of normal for him, and then change it to a cup further down the track?
    Sorry for all the questions I'm just feeling a little lost on what to do...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    At that age DD was just having a 100ml bottle before bed, cows milk. I just stopped other bottles at different stages and she didn't seem to care. The CHN said by 14mths they shouldn't have a bedtime bottle either but I haven't dropped that one yet as I had DS when DD was 14mths. She is 18mths now.

I just swapped to full cows milk as she didn't seem to mind it. I guess if your little one doesn't like the taste you may need to do 50/50 bottles for a while.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok great, thankyou.
    And I still give it to him before his breakfast? When should it be around the other way?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe start by adding it to his cereal in the mornings if you haven't already done that. It's a good way to introduce it. I offered small amounts in a sippy cup at breaky and eventually replaced his formula with cows milk for his bedtime bottle which was the only bottle he was having anyway. Hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah he has milk on his cereal and I was offering a drink of milk after but he was only have 1 sip of it.
    I might just try cold turkey and see how we go.
    Can you warm milk in the microwave like you would water for a bottle?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Don't forget cows milk is not a formula replacement , it's just a drink - you can easily get his calcium requirements from a tub of yogurt and fresh food if that's what your worried about or make him a fruit smoothie every day , i know with my DS his night bottle at that age was more habit/comfort than hunger and I just kept giving him less and less formula every night until he just had water ( about 20 months) plus at about 14 months I stopped using bottles and used a sports sipper water bottle - I would also offer breakfast before morning bottle now and you will find he will then be too full to drink it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did the 50/50 from 18mths with my DS still in bottles for about a month. Stopped bottles after he turned 2yrs old onto sippy cup before bed but he went off milk after a month. Gave to him in normal cup in the morning and he was ok. From about 2.5yrs old he just had milk every 2nd or 3rd day. Now he prob only has it once or twice a week.