+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just done some quick googling and haven't found anything to suggest that leather comes from a specific breed. Most of the information about cattle divides the breeds into dairy or beef breed only, and implies that the leather is a byproduct of these breeds. I'll keep searching though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just come across this document from the Australian government.

http://www.innovation.gov.au/Industr...abilityMap.doc

It states that leather is the by-product of animals slaughtered for meat. It says that meat is more profitable than the leather so they kill the animal to meet the market for meat, not leather.
    Last edited by Meg2; 05-04-2013 at 13:01.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (05-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    All shoes that DD is going to wear for lengthy periods MUST be leather. It's a requirement of mine. My mother has damaged feet as a result of wearing synthetic shoes, and I have feet problems which required good leather shoes, so I understand the importance of a good shoe. For me, leather is very important when it comes to closed-in shoes that are going to be worn for long periods of time (like at school).

I've decided that her health is more important to me than avoiding leather.

However, that's the only case I'm okay with using leather in my life. When it's her muscular-skeletal health at risk, I am cool with putting her first... but there's no real reason why anyone needs a leather sofa, needs a leather handbag, etc. The alternatives don't potentially risk your health, so I see no reason to use these things.

I'm also cool with tribes using animal skins. They serve a purpose, and usually those tribes will have also eaten the animal they skinned. They aren't wasteful, and if all leather we used came from animals that had been eaten, I would be fine with it.

Using animal skins for fashion, or as a status symbol is pretty gross IMO. A leather couch is just a step down from ivory cutlery sets or elephant foot bowls. Disgustingly cruel and unnecessary.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles  (05-04-2013)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    It states that leather is the by-product of animals slaughtered for meat. It says that meat is more profitable than the leather so they kill the animal to meet the market for meat, not leather.
    Well that's reassuring, thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    A leather couch is just a step down from ivory cutlery sets or elephant foot bowls. Disgustingly cruel and unnecessary.
    But what if we eat the meat, as the link above states? In that case a leather couch surely has nothing in common with ivory.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sassy- genuine q- how ate leather shoes better for muscoskeletal health? I can't ind any info?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    But what if we eat the meat, as the link above states? In that case a leather couch surely has nothing in common with ivory.
    Good question! Isn't it better off to use the leather rather than have it wasted?

We have a leather lounge and it is one of the best things we have ever purchased. For me it is a necessity. Food, drinks and baby spew can easily be cleaned up, it saves my sanity. Literally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    We have a leather lounge and it is one of the best things we have ever purchased. For me it is a necessity. Food, drinks and baby spew can easily be cleaned up, it saves my sanity. Literally.
    Yes yes yes. Our reasons for choosing a leather couch had nothing to do with vanity and everything to do wanting a product that would last and wear well. Cheap, dodgy products that end up in landfill after a few years are one of my biggest bugbears.

Similarly, after having a serial car vomiter I swore I'd never get cloth car seats again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I gave up being a vegan after a few months as it is really hard to not use leather, wool etc , the not eating meat was and still is easy but I found it hard not to use leather and wool so my theory is if I save a few cows and the environment by not eating them and by buying organic food and sustainable seafood for my family then that is better than nothing and every little bit counts , I'm not a fan of snakeskin or fur and would never buy it but yes am guilty of buying leather shoes and handbags and clothing made from wool, I have leather lounges and leather car seats and DH has leathers for his motorbike - do I feel guilty about it - absolutely but not enough obviously to give them up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Sassy- genuine q- how ate leather shoes better for muscoskeletal health? I can't ind any info?
    Yes I'm curious too as I have always understood it's the support from the base of the sole of the shoe, rather than what it's made of. I won't let the girls wear anything other than properly made trainers to school everyday. Shoes that tie up properly over the top of their feet to give them proper support while their feet are growing.

DD1 has ridiculously narrow feet so that's what I've been told. Leather shoes are often too wide for her feet (as they are stiffer than trainers) and she flops around in them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast