+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    It is a similar thing to 'vegetarians' who eat fish.
    That doesn't really take into account why a pescetarian eats fish. It could have nothing to do with this hierarchy you mention.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    That doesn't really take into account why a pescetarian eats fish. It could have nothing to do with this hierarchy you mention.
    I'm not saying that is always the reason, just that it's the reason for some people.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've considered becoming a pescetarian, and for me it has nothing to do with a hierarchy. Much more to do with ethical farming, the way our food lives and dies, and environmental sustainability.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I wouldn't buy snake skin but I try and avoid any leather products. Unfortunately that can be near impossible with shoes (I am very limited to shoes having size 12-13 feet).

I'm a tree hugging, bleed'n' heart leftie, pinko, femo, veggie though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ive never given leather or skin products of animals a thought probably because i dont buy it. Im a tight *** and buy fake leather (faux leather) lol
    But seriously im down for it if the whole animal is used no matter what the animal is. Cow leather cool whatever but use the whole cow. Snake skin cool whatever but use the whole snake etc.
    I dont liek the idea of animals being killed for their skins alone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I've considered becoming a pescetarian, and for me it has nothing to do with a hierarchy. Much more to do with ethical farming, the way our food lives and dies, and environmental sustainability.
    I'd be a bit wary of thinking that eating marine fish is sustainable or ethical. Most fisheries are either over fished or poorly understood so that we can't tell whether they are over fished or not. Many types of fishing gear have a detrimental impact on the environment and non-target species are routinely killed as by-catch. Fish produced in aquaculture farms have the same issues as factory farms, both in terms of animals welfare and environmental damage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    I'd be a bit wary of thinking that eating marine fish is sustainable or ethical. Most fisheries are either over fished or poorly understood so that we can't tell whether they are over fished or not. Many types of fishing gear have a detrimental impact on the environment and non-target species are routinely killed as by-catch. Fish produced in aquaculture farms have the same issues as factory farms, both in terms of animals welfare and environmental damage.
    Oh make no mistake, I don't claim to know anything about this! It's just been a thought at the back of my mind for some years. I will certainly research it better if/when I decide to give up meat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMoosMum View Post
    Ive never given leather or skin products of animals a thought probably because i dont buy it. Im a tight *** and buy fake leather (faux leather) lol
    But seriously im down for it if the whole animal is used no matter what the animal is. Cow leather cool whatever but use the whole cow. Snake skin cool whatever but use the whole snake etc.
    I dont liek the idea of animals being killed for their skins alone
    See this is exactly where I was at, and feeling cross whenever I saw snakeskin used. But when I read that we usually don't use the whole animal in any instance... It unsettled my whole ethos!

But surely, surely they wouldn't discard the meat altogether... What about pet food?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh make no mistake, I don't claim to know anything about this! It's just been a thought at the back of my mind for some years. I will certainly research it better if/when I decide to give up meat.
    Yeah, fair enough. It's so hard to find a way to live ethically in our society. To make matters worse, no matter what decision you make (or think about making), there will always be someone getting up there on their high horse to point out all the ways that your decisions are not all that ethical after all (which is what I just did, isn't it - sorry about that).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (05-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    See this is exactly where I was at, and feeling cross whenever I saw snakeskin used. But when I read that we usually don't use the whole animal in any instance... It unsettled my whole ethos!

But surely, surely they wouldn't discard the meat altogether... What about pet food?
    I'd be interested to know but I'm too soft to google it- last time I looked at anything to do with slaughter I cried