+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't know that cows were raised for leather only?? I was under the impression they were often spent dairy cows? I don't know, I think if we are using the whole animal, not wasting it, then that is one thing, but to kill an animal for only it's skin or fur is wrong to me. I wouldn't wear snakeskin No more than I would wear sealskin or a fur coat

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's because different cows have different qualities that producers like. So for example there are cows who are farmed for their dairy and there are other breeds that are farmed for their meat. So I guess there are cows which are farmed for their leather qualities. This is what my dad told me anyway. He grew up on a farm and apparently all breeds are different

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    I think it's because different cows have different qualities that producers like. So for example there are cows who are farmed for their dairy and there are other breeds that are farmed for their meat. So I guess there are cows which are farmed for their leather qualities. This is what my dad told me anyway. He grew up on a farm and apparently all breeds are different
    Yes, this is what I'm learning. So we waste the leather from "meat" cows and waste the meat from "leather" cows.

I knew I shouldn't look too far under the surface

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't believe in using animal skin for fashion, that goes for snake skin or cow or any other.... Yuk!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't believe in waste I recycle most my products. Soo.... I eat the cow and I buy the cow skins

This is bubs nursery!
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1365124905.673892.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Yes, this is what I'm learning. So we waste the leather from "meat" cows and waste the meat from "leather" cows.

I knew I shouldn't look too far under the surface
    I know this is true but if I live in my happy blind bubble this doesn't happen!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't looked into it and don't plan to I know I'll just be disappointed

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm afraid that I've kept myself willfully ignorant on this topic, thinking that leather was just a byproduct of the meat industry. If you are right (and I guess I have no excuse not to look into this properly now) then I will have to reassess my use of leather. As it is I try to use it minimally (only one pair of leather shoes, non-leather handbag), so it probably wont be a huge sacrifice to give it up completely.

Regarding the ethical question about snake skin. Some people seem to believe in a hierarchy of importance in animals and usually mammals come in higher than reptiles. The justification seems to center around how much they believe the animal can feel and/or suffer. It is a similar thing to 'vegetarians' who eat fish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My aesthethic opinion aside, I buy leather shoes, bags and belts and don't give it a second thought, as I hope that the leather is the 'left over' from the Cow being used for meat etc.

However, (as hypocritical as this may sound), I couldn't in good conscious buy snake skin leather as I would see it as being an unnecessary 'luxury' thing to take from an Animal and Australia is not a country that I know eats, drinks Snake etc like Vietnam and Cambodia. So I guess whilst I am happy to buy and wear leather, I would not be happy or think it's ethical to wear snake skin leather (again, as hypocrticial as that sounds), however if we as a nation were prolific snake eaters like we are beef, then I guess I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Either way, I don't like the aesthetics of snake skin and anything that is made with it is usually out of my price range anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's ugly. I don't like wearing an animal for fashion.