+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Hysterectomy by choice- have you done it?

Hi guys

As the title says, Im wanting to have a hysterectomy.

My reasons are this:
    1. Ive struggled with insanely heavy, uncomfortable periods since my 10th birthday when I got them.
    2. I have 2 children and do not want anymore.
    3. I am sick of living on nurofen plus when I have my period due to the pain
    4. I am sick of the period affecting my life, socially and physically.

So, i spoke to my ob about it, and he wanted me to try this procedure where they burn the inside lining of the uterus (I cant remember the name of it). Id much rather just have the hysto and be done with it. I am seeing him in September to discuss what to do but my mind is made up.

Ive had cancer and major surgeries (14) so the thought of another surgery doesnt worry me.

So Im wondering if anyone has had a hysterectomy by choice, and if you were supported by your ob/ gyn to do it.

Id love to hear your experiences.

Thanks!

HW

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't, but I came in to suggest the option that your doctor did (I also can't remember the name).

After speaking to people that have had either a hysterectomy or burning thing, I would go with the second for a few reasons.

•It is nowhere near as invasive
    •It has a high success rate
    •Many people have issues after a hysterectomy and it's not something you can take back whereas with the burning, if it doesn't work you have a backup option (hysterectomy).

ETA, I don't know anyone that has been unsuccessful with the burning method.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it would depend on how old you are to whether you'd want a hysterectomy or not. Doesn't a hysterectomy make you go through early menopause? You may not get AF but the menopause side effects could be much worse.

I am having the exact same procedure to blast the lining on my uterus done in 2 weeks time. Since I had my tubes tied I've had heavy painful periods so the Gyno has recommended this and having the mirena. Can tell you how it goes for me if you'd like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suffer from endometriosis (since I was 12) and I'm going to be 30 this year. I'm interested to know how you go about having it electively, as it is something I would like done myself. I have a Mirena in at the moment but don't want to doing that every 5 years the rest of my life! I am a bit concerned about the early menopause factor too.

Could you pm me or tell me through here? I'm really interested to know how you go too

Thanks
    Reviews
    im 34... the ob said he would leave my ovaries there

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've sent you a PM. My main concern with a hysterectomy would be time off work, having to rest. I think it's a 6 week recovery. Endometrial ablation (using a current to remove the lining of the uterus) has a much faster recovery period.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to add a link for OP and others that might be reading this thread.

www.novasure.com has info about endometrial ablation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tootiredtosleep View Post
    I've sent you a PM. My main concern with a hysterectomy would be time off work, having to rest. I think it's a 6 week recovery. Endometrial ablation (using a current to remove the lining of the uterus) has a much faster recovery period.
    Most people (that I know) are able to go back to work the next day

Thanks
    Reviews
    i dont want just ligter periods i want them gone completely. Im on my first period now since my baby was born 9 weeks ago. I bled for 6 weeks and now this period is horrendous.
    It hurts to stand the pain travels down my legs. I dont want this anymore

Thanks
    Reviews
    The ablasting stops your periods completely after the initial post op bleeding.