+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    we have tinted windows. ive tried the radio and it just doesnt work....i think she just hates it. Shes.not great in the pram either....
    doesnt make life very easy...
    but im glad tp hear im not alone..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our DD was the same, didn't like the car or pram, the one thing that stopped her from crying was a Bob Marley CD. We tried everything and just by chance one of his songs was on the radio and she was silent, first thing we did was buy a whole CD. Worked a treat, it was the ONLY! thing that worked. DD is 3 now and its still her fave Not saying it will work for you but it was our life saver.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is similar to the mirror we haveImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1365158542.993373.jpg

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (07-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP I've had success today with my 3 month old! Normally even me sitting in the back doesn't help.. he lost it ten minutes from away from home (got that far with him asleep which is rate), we had to pull over and take him out of the seat then BF him to calm him then popped him back in seat whereby he became hysterical again, but! this time I put on 'Kipper' on the iPad and we made it home with him completely mesmerized. Normally I would never use tv as a tool but it beats having him CIO in the car which is something I just cannot do. Give it a whirl, I'm going to buy a thingy to mount the iPad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Crow View Post
    Step 1. Fuel up the car
    Step 2. Get a calm friend to come along for support (for you, not bub)
    Step 3. Strap in and drive. Keep driving (for several hours if necessary) until bub either gives up or falls asleep from exhaustion.
    Step 4. Repeat until bub accepts the car trip is NOT going to stop just because she's crying!

This WILL CURE IT.
    Both my kids hated the car to begin with. Now they fall asleep almost as soon as we take off
    Didn't for us. We regularly drove from Melbourne to Venus bay (nearly 3 hours) and back and DD1 would cry for about 2 hrs 45 minutes each way until she passed out from exhaustion (just as we were pulling in and had to get her out of the car ).

It was awful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Didn't for us. We regularly drove from Melbourne to Venus bay (nearly 3 hours) and back and DD1 would cry for about 2 hrs 45 minutes each way until she passed out from exhaustion (just as we were pulling in and had to get her out of the car ).

It was awful.
    Really?! In addion to my own kids, I know soooo many other cases (friends, neices, nephews, etc ) that all had total success with this method!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Step 1. Fuel up the car
    Step 3. Strap in and drive. Keep driving (for several hours if necessary) until bub either gives up or falls asleep from exhaustion.
    Step 4. Repeat until bub accepts the car trip is NOT going to stop just because she's crying!

This WILL CURE IT.
    Both my kids hated the car to begin with. Now they fall asleep almost as soon as we take off
    What utterly bad advice. Advocating to let a small baby scream for hours until they pass out from exhaustion is not "curing" anything.

OP, I have no words if advice, all 3 of my boys have hated the car, from the moment they were born they would scream bloody murder in the car, nothing I did could stop it from happening. So instead I tried to limit outings and try to keep trips short where I could.

The good news is, they all stopped screaming and started liking the car around 6 months old and from that point, actually started loving it, and it didn't coincide with turning them forward facing because they were all rear facing way past 6 months.

It's hard, but does get better

Thanks
    Reviews
    Step 1. Fuel up the car

This WILL CURE IT.
    That advice makes me really sad. What a horrible experience for the baby. Talk about learned helplessness.

OP a toy bar really helped DS. He cheered up once we moved him forward facing. Also I found he was getting too hot in his capsule even on cold days. I always drive with the air con on very cold now and DD has been much better.

Kanye West also helped for some reason. I think because I listened to him during my pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    What utterly bad advice. Advocating to let a small baby scream for hours until they pass out from exhaustion is not "curing" anything.

OP, I have no words if advice, all 3 of my boys have hated the car, from the moment they were born they would scream bloody murder in the car, nothing I did could stop it from happening. So instead I tried to limit outings and try to keep trips short where I could.

The good news is, they all stopped screaming and started liking the car around 6 months old and from that point, actually started loving it, and it didn't coincide with turning them forward facing because they were all rear facing way past 6 months.

It's hard, but does get better
    Completely agree. Letting a baby cry causes cortisol levels to rise. The effects of that on brain development is horrendous. If Babies cry, it's your job to soothe them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Beta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    A mirror helped with DD. She hated it at first but I had no choice due to DS's kinder being 25 mins drive away, so she just grew out of it, was good by about 3 months and happily stayed rear facing until 13 months. I wasn't about to stop the car just because she was crying, but I did avoid any car trips that were longer than 30ish minutes until she grew out of that phase.