+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Yes, see I think it's much nicer to ask people to bring a plate than give us gifts and cash. That way you all get to enjoy/celebrate together and everyone contributes to the event rather than the bride and groom go home and count their cash, yuck.
    Also, you must be remembering fancier bygone days than me. I remember when my parents were socializing back in the 80's it was perfectly acceptable to bring jatz, French onion dip and a cask of red
    Anyone else craving jatz and French onion dip or just me????

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love jatz and kraft french onion dip except when i have it the whole tub disappears yummm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It sounds to me like you may not have been reliably informed about the $ giving? Eg it was something the family just decided they were going to do. Can you ask your friend directly "what do you need from a present aspect" if your friend says nothing you could cover up and say "this is for the wedding Im thinking about."

I think it's rude to ask for presents at an engagement party. I think its rude to ask people to bring food. I mean your just getting engaged its not that big a deal. Other people might give a cr@p if you actually get married, but engagement....pffftttt ...move on.

IMO if they haven't specified presents on the invite, and if you haven't heard directly from them that they are after cash... Then it's Ok to Rock up with a really nice home-made desert. If you could do something to personalize the desert (eg their names, love hearts with their initials) then your desert then doubles as a personal gift.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did speak directly to them vp and they specified cash

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    I did speak directly to them vp and they specified cash
    Wtf! That's obnoxious. In that case I would chuck a sickie on the night! Oops, kids are sick, can't come! Send along your desert (a 6 pack of cupcakes from woolies).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im not like best friends with them or anything but have known them my whole life and we have alot of mutual friends / our families all know eachother etc so i really dont mind but was just wondering if $30 was too little. I was originally thinking 50 but just wont really have that to spare. Thats why i hate cash gifts!! They wanted money towards their honeymoon i think they said? They dont need any house stuff etc.

They didnt / wouldnt expect anything but was more like " if you would like to give, we would prefer money"

I honestly dont mind but cant afford alot atm is all :-)
    Last edited by SoThisIsLove; 05-04-2013 at 05:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    $30 is perfctky fine for an engagement party..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Its only an engagement party, not the wedding. $30 is perfectly fine! In fact they should be happy with nothing more than your presence if they are a good friend. I know I sure would be anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    $30 is fine. I got a lot of cash gifts for ours ( average $30-50) and tbh anything is appreciated and we had a venue food and alcohol provided (cost us too much) looking back now wish I kept it small or less expensive but had to have one for all the people that would not be coming to the wedding. My husbands whole street!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    They wanted money towards their honeymoon i think they said?
    Wow so now engagement parties have become almost a seperate wedding where guests again pay for everything and are then expected to contribute even more. I suspect by the time their wedding rolls around guests will have paid for their honeymoon for them.

The whole thing has just become a joke imo

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

House Mummaxxxx  (05-04-2013),lambjam  (05-04-2013)