+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    BYO alcohol and dessert? I find that so bizarre... I can understand people asking others to bring their own alcohol to parties (personally I'd never do it) but asking people to bring their own alcohol to an engagement party is just wrong. Asking people to bring their own dessert as well is even worse..
    Considering you're taking your own alcohol and dessert, give them what you can afford..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would just give them a card too. Bring along all the byo items and that's it.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I think the byo is a good idea, esp if the couple are a bit strapped themselves. I guess I'm a bit old school because I remember the days of bringing a dish or a nice bottle of wine to an event held by friends. Now it's expensive gifts and wishing wells.
    Yes, see I think it's much nicer to ask people to bring a plate than give us gifts and cash. That way you all get to enjoy/celebrate together and everyone contributes to the event rather than the bride and groom go home and count their cash, yuck.
    Also, you must be remembering fancier bygone days than me. I remember when my parents were socializing back in the 80's it was perfectly acceptable to bring jatz, French onion dip and a cask of red

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Benji  (05-04-2013),Gracie's Mum  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Lol in our house it was cocktail onions on sticks with flags, cheese and kabana! And probably ye olde cask of fruity lexia, classy folk my parents were!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha im gonna rock up with jatz dip and a cask!! woo hoo / sarcasm.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (04-04-2013),tormyxxx  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You so should! And report back on their reactions. Purely for the entertainment of all of us, haha.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    Lol in our house it was cocktail onions on sticks with flags, cheese and kabana! And probably ye olde cask of fruity lexia, classy folk my parents were!
    You had flags? That is well posh.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    Nothing wrong with that as long as you have good company to match.

Wish we could go back to the old days things just seemed so much less pretentious back then.
    Usually people did what they could afford to do and friends/family where more then happy to lend a hand baking a cake or making a potato salad.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (05-04-2013),Benji  (05-04-2013),delirium  (04-04-2013),MissMuppet  (05-04-2013),SoThisIsLove  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Nothing wrong with that as long as you have good company to match.

Wish we could go back to the old days things just seemed so much less pretentious back then.
    Usually people did what they could afford to do and friends/family where more then happy to lend a hand baking a cake or making a potato salad.
    I totally agree! More a feeling of community than entitlement. I've been to some lovely backyard engagement parties where we've bought a plate to share and toddled off to myer to choose a pressie, to me that feels totally different than being invited to something fancy, being told how much $$ to bring per head and where I can stick my cash in lieu of gift.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

waterlily  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's HILARIOUS and revolting when people ask for gifts/wishing well at their engagement party. What a complete gift grab! I swear getting married is a complete money grab these days. So sad. I'd give them a bottle of wine. They're only engaged, no biggie!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gracie's Mum For This Useful Post:

waterlily  (04-04-2013)