Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Another scan at 40 weeks?!

Hello everyone!!

I saw my OB yesterday at 40+1. She wanted me to have a scan to check the amniotic water level when I get to 41 weeks on Monday.

She did not really believe I will get till Monday anyway

So I was suppose to have the scan and then see her. But the scan place is booked out so they book me in for tomorrow...

This is effectively taking 3 whole days away for me for a chance to go in labour. I would really prefer not to have to do this scan.
    It would be my 6th scan - for a textbook pregnancy - I just feel like this is way too much exams.

What would you do? Im seriously considering missing my appointment tomorrow and hoping they would fit me in somehow on Monday or Tuesday anyway, or not at all, since I would have had my baby over the wkd

In my home country, EDD is 41 weeks so I dont even feel overdue yet...

Just after some opinions!! Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think if you aren't concerned, and feel fine and confident in yourself and that your baby is safe, then cancel your scan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Unless there were other signs or issues I would be declining or seriously delaying a routine scan for olighydramnios
    Cool word missie mack! Just googled it. Learn something new every day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there a reason why the OB wants to check the level?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    She just said that's something they monitor once you are past a week overdue, to ensure baby is fine and placenta is functioning well etc.

But again she wanted that scan done on Monday and said she would be very surprised if I was still UTD by then. She said to insist for the scan place to book me on Monday but they wouldn't take me then grrr...

Anyway, exciting (and gross) news : I just lost my plug so will call back the OB tomorrow morning and see what she thinks. I really feel something will happen before Monday
    Fx!

Thanks for your lovely opinions :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you has previous low amniotic fluid? Did the ob look at the levels on her machine? I wouldn't miss the appt. low amniotic fluids are extremely dangerous.
    If the levels are ok then I'm sure she will allow you to continue the natural progression to labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Nope, levels have always been good. As I said, textbook pregnancy!
    I think I will give it a go and get another appointment for Monday or Tuesday when I'm 41 wks if I make it that far

Plus I'm getting CTGs tomorrow and Monday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Seems odd if you don't have low fluids? Did you ask why you needed the scan?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've had the experience with our first pregnancy of having the placenta stop working (pregnancy went too long) and the fluid being all gone (the o word used earlier). Thankfully we had a check up the day we did or he would have been dead by bedtime (he came out via e -c section). HOWEVER - we were over 2 weeks overdue and it was because we have small babies that they were telling us we were wrong and our dates must be wrong because he was small, hadn't dropped, etc.
    They did a scan on the Friday and checked the fluid and said there was plenty, but by Tuesday morning he was in distress and the fluid was gone - ie. when they 'broke the waters' (to see if I would labour him out quickly via induction), nothing came out and they asked me to cough...still nothing came out. There came a point when he was getting no oxygen at all and they stopped the induction.
    It was a 'text-book' pregnancy and had no issues at all until that point, he was still moving well. No signs that I was losing fluid etc.
    Six scans for a 'text-book' pregnancy does seem like a lot. Usually I try to go for just one at 20 weeks and then checking fluid if we go post-dates, but now have bigger fish to fry and need regular scans if we fall again to check the placenta. So...what I am trying to say is - there is a reason why they check fluid levels/placenta post-dates, but we were VERY overdue and these things don't keep on functioning forever.
    I think it depends on circumstances...ask your ob if you are concerned - I'm sure they've been asked before.
    Hopefully you will go into labour before you have to worry about any of this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    The OP said earlier that the OB said they do it routinely for any baby that goes overdue
    Sorry