+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bike for 6 year old.

Hi my son turns 6 in a few weeks and were getting him a new bike as he's just too tall for his one. I was wondering what size bikes ppl have for their 6 year old and if they have training wheels on their bikes. My son is very tall for his age. Height wise id say he's about 125cm he comes up to my shoulder and I'm only bout 154cm. I don't want to take him with me as then he will know he's getting a bike. Any suggestions on bikes would be great. Tyia

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micky18 View Post
    Hi my son turns 6 in a few weeks and were getting him a new bike as he's just too tall for his one. I was wondering what size bikes ppl have for their 6 year old and if they have training wheels on their bikes. My son is very tall for his age. Height wise id say he's about 125cm he comes up to my shoulder and I'm only bout 154cm. I don't want to take him with me as then he will know he's getting a bike. Any suggestions on bikes would be great. Tyia
    DS was 7 in Sep last year and he got a new bike for Christmas. I got him a 20" It's perfect hieght for him. I would possibly get the 20" and maybe training wheels if he needs them. That way, it'll last him a couple of years.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I second the 20"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My son is the same height, he has a 20" bike with training wheels (I cannot remember brand though).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. By 20" do u mean the 40cm bikes. There the size I'm looking at as they seem to be a big enough bike for him before he will need to the training wheels...

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    20 inches is 50.8cm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah ok ty... None of the 50cm ones I've found have the training wheels on them. Can you buy them separate and any idea where from

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son got 60cm bike for Chrissy aged almost 7 also tall.
    Can I recommend maybe just scrapping the training wheels? I never used them with my older two.
    They both got bikes age 3.5 and were off with not knowing what a training wheel is.
    If he is tall he will outgrow a 50 very quickly and you will be replacing it again next year.
    Just a thought

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ty for your reply. I did think that as he is really tall and the bikes cost up to $150..... I reckon he would learn quickly without the training wheels just wasn't sure what age kids stopped using them. Might have a look at the 60cm ones. I'm sure with practice he will be a pro in no time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ours was from big w, I specifically found one with training wheels as he needs them :-)