+ Reply to Thread

Default Finger foods and choking?

I've been giving 7.5 month old DS some finger foods but am a bit worried about the choking risk. When can I give him sticks of hard cheese, cucumber etc? He could bite off little hard chunks and choke couldn't he?

I've just had a friend here for coffee and she almost lost her DS at 7 months because he choked (not on food) and she's got me worried!

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If you have started him on purees he has not yet learnt to bite/ chew then swallow so start him on easy finger foods first - put them on his tray and let him pick them up:

rice cakes, cruskits or toast - they nibble/gum ( put avocado or nut butters on them)

thick cut cucumber sticks ( skin on) he will gum off the soft flesh

Steamed bok Choy stalks or asparagus spears

steamed brocolli ( he will nibble off the tiny flowerettes )

Corn on the cob- keeps them occupied for ages nibbling/gumming off little corn pieces

Roasted or steamed sweet potato sticks - easy to hold and the soft flesh easy to eat

Once he has mastered these then go for cheese , lamb cutlets, poached chicken strips, cut up tomatoes, olives etc

The only foods I held off until DS had at least 4 - 6 teeth were whole apples and raw carrot sticks at about 12 months

Sydney NSW
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there, I started with 'finger foods' that were soft, such as tiny pieces of soft bread, tiny pieces of chopped tomato, cheese Kraft single slices, inside of grapes, soft pieces of fish and so on. My DD has just turned 8 months and these are the sorts of 'finger foods' we are doing (along with the main meals such as casserole, cereal etc that I have blended a bit for her and feed to her with a spoon).