+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tell me about night terrors or is this something else?

DS almost 2 (end of may) has been waking up screaming and thrashing around. He screams if I try pick him up, he arches his back, kicks, throws his head back etc every other night.

He's also just woken from his day sleep and done it

He won't let me hold him or cuddle or anything and doesn't respond if I talk to him. I don't know why he's doing it.

I don't think it's teeth because I can't see anything coming and and once he gets over the 'tantrum' he goes back to sleep fairly easily.

Do u think it could be might terrors?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It does sound like night terrors if he goes back to sleep easily after. They say people who have night terrors don't remember the next day (however I do and always have but usually need reminding). Are his eyes open? A night terror is when they seem as though they are awake and for me, u can 'see' things that aren't there. These things appear terrifying even if they are everyday things eg 2 weeks ago I had one over a mug in the window (that obviously wasn't there). You can't calm someone in a night terror down but the waking part tends to be quick and luckily for the sufferer, it doesn't effect their sleep. Oh yeah, they also tend to happen in the first few hours of sleep. If it goes on and you can pinpoint when he has them, you could try and gently wake (only for a minute) him 15 mins or so before which apparently helps by disturbing the REM patterns or something. That has never helped me unfortunately although was recommended by all docs I have seen about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds exactly like what my ds did around the same age. Nothing we did helped but he did grow out of it after a few very long months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like night terrors. My DS1 still has them at 6. They are awful. Good thing is they generally dont remember anything once they wake up x

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes, what have described is more than likely night terrors. DS had them when he was younger and it was almost nightly, without fail, approx 3 hours after I put him to bed. They lasted maybe 2 years? From around 6-8 years old. Some nights he would sleep walk during these night terrors and run straight for the front door and tried to get out of the house. I was often woken by the sound of the front door being opened- absolutely terrifying.
    He was distraught when they struck, he would freak out and scream, all the while looking right through me, it was as if I wasn't there.
    All I could do was try to hold him and talk very gently to him, even though it scared me I had to remain calm until it passed, usually taking a few minutes and he would just fall back alseep and have no memory of anything the next day.
    I stressed out that something was really wrong for this to be occuring- I thought that something in his life must be causing him severe anxiety and I felt so guilty even though I couldn't think of anything that could be behind it all.
    I did my certificate 3 in children's services and learnt all about them and the good news is that they usually occur in perfectly healthy children and are not an indicator that something is wrong or that the child is having an episode due to life stress or anxiety or psychological issues.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 04-04-2013 at 15:19.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Kiplusthree  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, sounds like it.

My DD#2 had them for years and has now has other sleep issues. They can even stand and kick and thrash around while screaming with their eyes open.

But basically if I touched her or even spoke to her then it would become 100x worse and last much longer. So, I found the best thing to do was just watch her to ensure she didn't hurt herself.

A few drops of lavender oil under her pillow helped at times. But if she was sick or overtired or had had a big day then she was pretty much guaranteed to have one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. His eyes r open and he seems 'awake' he sometimes points to the door too. But of course there isn't anything there

Poor little man I feel so bad for him. It takes him about 5-10 minutes to calm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    Thanks everyone. His eyes r open and he seems 'awake' he sometimes points to the door too. But of course there isn't anything there

Poor little man I feel so bad for him. It takes him about 5-10 minutes to calm
    My 6 yo is the same. Open eyes, points at things that arent there, scteams out that we're all dieing. Hes even said his brother (whos 3yo and asleep in another room) is trying to kill him. It's extremely upsetting and I feel your pain!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have suffered from night terrors since a young child, and still do too. The best thing is for me to wake up by myself, so my DH will turn on a light, but then leave me to it. The light is usually enough for me to wake up with.

Lucky for you, your DS goes back to sleep easily, as a child I couldn't go back to sleep, as generally I'd be dreaming of something scary being in my room, so hard to relax and go back to sleep. If it continues as he gets older, it may be worthwhile to explain to him what they are, as the most confusing thing is the fact that when you wake up, you're certain that the dream was real, so what ever the scary thing was, its hard to understand it's not real.

Hopefully he grows out of it like most children.