+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Taxis and baby seats

Hi I hope someone can help me, my whole family and I will be travelling to Melbourne in July and will have 2 bubs with us (1 will be 11 months and 1 will be 17 months) my question is car seats in taxis, do I ring and pre order or do they have them. I really don't want to have to cart my baby seat everywhere I go so I am hoping someone can help me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My cousin is visually impaired (and has a young toddler). She has her own car seat to use for taxis.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I think you would be better off having your own. I remember some years ago now, DS was referred to the hospital at 10 days old. The doctors surgery called the taxi company and asked about car seats- apparently there were only 2 in Brisbane. I ended up jusr catching a bus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We took DD home in a taxi - we just called and only waited about 15 minutes but we could've been lucky. We used silver service in Sydney.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A few years ago when we were traveling to Melbourne we tried to book a car seat with the regular taxi service and it wasn't possible - we ended up booking with a smaller private firm who were able to supply carseats. This was just for the trip from the airport to the hotel and return and only because our oldest had quite a bit of medical equipment with her at the time. It was handy, the driver met us at the baggage collection area and even helped carry some of our bags.

Now whenever we travel to Melbourne we use the Skybus service from the airport into town and then their shuttle to the hotel. Google them for more info on prices and times etc. The service runs every 10 minutes and is located directly outside the terminal. It is really convenient, babies can stay seated in their strollers/prams etc which is handy.

Other times when I have had to use a taxi with a small baby I have carried them either in the hugabub or ergo. Just doesn't feel right not using a carseat though and I only had to do it a couple of times with DD2 when there was no other option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    SpottySocks what was the firm you used?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live in Melb and had an issue with being locked out of our car and needing a taxi. We called one company to ask about car seats and they told us none of the taxis in Melb have car seats. I would probably take your own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loodle View Post
    SpottySocks what was the firm you used?
    Sorry, I only just saw this! I'm not sure of the name. DH thinks it was something like Downtown Corproate cars or some such!!! It cost us $60 from the airport to our hotel in Melbourne.

From memory we found them online - if you google Melbourne Airport chauffeur you'll probably find a few options.

Goodluck.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure about cities but my friend in a smaller town calls up and asks for one with car seats and they send a specific cab around. I assume cities would be similar considering the amount of people there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    They don't tend to have car seats in taxis but as they are legally public transport it is legal for them to have kids in taxis without car seats.