+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Angry Hospital Booking Problems

My doctor sent a booking referral to Casey Hospital in Berwick for me on Sat 23rd March. I live in Emerald and my only other option for hospitals would be William Angliss in Ferntree Gully, however, I have had family members pass away in that hospital plus I have been there before for minor emergencies (broken bones, etc) and they have sent me to Monash in Clayton every time as they did not have the facilities to treat me.

I have received a letter back from Casey saying:

"Unfortunately we are not able to process your booking enquiry at this time, as you do not fall within the Southern Health maternity services region.......We have enclosed information regarding locations of alternative/closer maternity hospitals for you to review and arrange a booking"

The hospitals they have recommended are Mercy in Heidelberg, Royal Womens in Parkville, William Angliss, Box Hill, Frankston hospital and Sandringham hospital.

I have tried to contact my doctor and have spoken at length with the nurse at the clinic as to why I don't want to go to William Angliss. She has told me she would follow it up but nothing is being done.

I have contacted Casey hospital this morning only to be told I am "way out of the area". I told her I am only 20km from this hospital and asked her to tell me where the region cuts off. She said she was looking at a map. So I asked what suburb the region goes to and she just said she didn't know. I have asked to speak to someone higher, I was transferred and left a message. She has not returned my call.

So, my question is, what do I do? Other than William Angliss, the hospitals recommended are over an hour from home. I don't see how a hospital can refuse my booking based on some map.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sorry you're having a tough time getting into the hospital you want. But I do know that Casey is a very small, low risk hospital that services mainly the Berwick/pakenham/narre warren area. I was due to give birth to my first at Casey but was transferred to dandy as I had to be induced. My dad passed away at dandy hospital when I was 17 and I hadn't been there since but in all honesty it never crossed my mind at the time as I was focused on other things. Good luck, keep trying with Casey and I hope you get in

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Keep in mind that generally Casey will transfer you to dandy or monash at the first sign of a problem

Here's a boundary map for vic public hospitals that might help explain

http://health.vic.gov.au/maps/downlo...pr/downpdf.pdf
    Last edited by Linda01; 04-04-2013 at 10:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have friends in the emerald area they had to go to the angliss ftg
    Casey won't take you unfortunately they are too small of a hospital to service beyond the berwick, narre warren & pakenham areas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just relised this post is over a year old lol whoops