+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think we might be feeding a troll (well I would hope so). Unless OP can show a creditable recent study then I think those of us who have multiple scans (or any scans) need to just disregard what has been said. I know when I get pregnant again I will be having multiple scans as I will be deemed high risk and I will also need them to reassure me that the pregnancy is progressing the way it should.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jazz1910 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-04-2013),Kirst33  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm wondering if she's a troll as well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Because the OP did not start a discussion piece based on her opinions or gut feelings (well, she did, but that's not how she presented it). She started it based on a number of "facts" that she presented which contradict current medical advice, and have nothing to back them up.

To entitle a thread 'why you shouldn't [insert medical advice here]' and to throw around false statistics (e.g., that most ultrasounds wrongly diagnose Down syndrome), along with emotive phrases such as the use of the word 'murder' when talking about a termination... All of these things are going to get people's backs up, and I think the OP should rightly be challenged on them.

Her advice is not only incorrect, but is fear mongering, and dangerous.

Had she started a topic that said she personally felt nervous about ultrasounds and wasn't going to get one, then people may have been gentler in their approach.
    Amen.

bub4mepls - I am 10 weeks and already have had to have 3 scans due to bleeding etc (was also going through an IVF clinic). Please dont be scared by this, as I had the same with my DD and she is now 3 and perfectly fine (if anything, quite advanced so no ill-effects at all!)

Posts like this just frustrate me as they claim to 'raise awareness' but more likely just scare people in to believing facts. Using such emotional and strong words like the "m" one is just disgusting. If I hadnt have had early scans with my last pregnancy, who knows how long it would have taken for my body to realise my baby had already passed.

For me, scans are essential early on for peace of mind due to miscarriages and long term ttc. I dont need them every week and would never ask for one just to 'see bubs' (Im pretty sure my OB would say no anyway!) but I figure the essential scans plus the extras I have needed along the way saves my stress and mental health. After all, bubba needs a healthy, positive Mumma.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to waitinghoping For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm another who had lots of scans, and am sitting here feeding my 3 month old instead of mourning for her.

She was an ivf bub so I had a few scans in the first 12 weeks and then I developed severe polyhydramnios in the third tri. Scans showed that her head was stuck over my hip and the umbilical cord was sitting in my cervix. If my waters had broken naturally she would have died.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 25 weeks and so far I've had 5 scans. Bub is perfectly fine.

I would be interested to see the studies and actual cases where ultrasound was the sole reason for losing a baby??

I have no problem with scans, the benefits of having scans outweigh the possible risks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A girl I know had her scan at 20weeks and they found that bubs stomach hadn't closed properly and some of her internal organs were growing on the outside. She would have to have bub early and in a different state because the hospital wasn't equipped to deal with this kind of issue. So she went interstate nice and early, lucky she did, because bub came earlier than planned! They were all prepared, bub had surgery straight after birth and is now doing well. I can't imagine that her baby would've survived very long so early in a hospital that had to send her interstate. And it wasn't in the country either!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to IndieBelle For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (06-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know what pregnant woman refers to their baby as "the foetus" repeatedly like the OP has .... Just sayin

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cocosmum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-04-2013),Cinderella82  (04-04-2013),NancyBlackett  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I wasn't going to post, but since the fluoride thread got shut down I'm a little bored.

I am currently 21 weeks and have had 21 scans. None of these were for my convenience or just to see the bub. The scans identified my continual bleeding as a retroplacental hematoma and has helped manage this condition. After being rushed to hospital and requiring 3 blood transfusions with this condition, I challenge anyone to refuse a scan to find out what is going on and how it can be managed. I will continue to have scans to monitor the size and location of the hematoma and if necessary take action to make sure both myself and the bub survive this.

Posts like this do not help anyone make informed decisions and appear to only have served to cause anxiety in people who are already having a stressful enough pregnancy.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (04-04-2013),beebs  (05-04-2013),jazz1910  (04-04-2013),Kirst33  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post
    I wasn't going to post, but since the fluoride thread got shut down I'm a little bored.

I am currently 21 weeks and have had 21 scans. None of these were for my convenience or just to see the bub. The scans identified my continual bleeding as a retroplacental hematoma and has helped manage this condition. After being rushed to hospital and requiring 3 blood transfusions with this condition, I challenge anyone to refuse a scan to find out what is going on and how it can be managed. I will continue to have scans to monitor the size and location of the hematoma and if necessary take action to make sure both myself and the bub survive this.

Posts like this do not help anyone make informed decisions and appear to only have served to cause anxiety in people who are already having a stressful enough pregnancy.
    Lol. I was going to ask before if the OP was friends with Steve-the fluoride guy.... I think they would get on well

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kezanazz For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (04-04-2013),beebs  (05-04-2013),DJ Nette  (04-04-2013),waitinghoping  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a m/c at 6weeks with my first pg so with my second pg I insisted on a early scan as I was so terrified that every niggle meant I was loosing another baby, I had 3-4 scans and have a 3 yr old girl who is Happy and healthy. I am now 5 weeks pg with baby #2 and I want the early scans again as I need to know that my baby is in the uterus and alive.. I feel that u/s are an important diagnostic tool and identify many complications some of which are life threatening and can be resolved.. To each their own but please don't put down others for their decisions especially when you have no idea what it feels like... I can't speak for others with different experiences but for me since having a m/c I constantly worry about every (normal) niggle and ache until I can see that everything is ok... I was also highly offended with the abortion comment, I have never been in this position but i have strong feelings about this topic. Abortion is a difficult and individual choice and no one has the right to judge another when they are not in that position and therefore have no idea of the circumstances to make that difficult decision..