+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Is this really true? Absolutely terrifies me as I have had a scan every single week of my first trimester (sometimes twice a week) due to IVF, previous miscarriages, miscarrying this bubs twin, bleeding and a subchronic hematoma...all very good reasons to be having the scans (I admit a couple of the scans were more to put my mind at ease as I was so scared I was losing the baby again )
    Still, I would never forgive myself if something is wrong with bub and it's because of the scans
    Really hope your post is incorrect OP

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    Yep, I find the idea of a 'home doppler' quite scary actually. I've heard stories of mums using them when they have reduced movement instead of contacting their midwife/ob and it turns out that they really should have gotten medical help sooner but that is probably a topic for a different discussion.
    Yeps that scares me as well. It's so easy to pick up a good heart rate for the 30-60 seconds that your listening to and for a deceleration to happen afterwards.

but as you said - different discussion lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bub4mepls View Post
    Is this really true? Absolutely terrifies me as I have had a scan every single week of my first trimester (sometimes twice a week) due to IVF, previous miscarriages, miscarrying this bubs twin, bleeding and a subchronic hematoma...all very good reasons to be having the scans (I admit a couple of the scans were more to put my mind at ease as I was so scared I was losing the baby again )
    Still, I would never forgive myself if something is wrong with bub and it's because of the scans
    Go through and read everyone else's comments to put your mind at ease. I think you sound very much like I will be, needing scans for my own reassurance that my baby is still alive. I believe the benefits of scans far outweigh the risk and that this post is very uninformed. I'm sure your baby is fine.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (04-04-2013),LittleGumnut  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm I have heard of this blood test before though not Australia , a friend in my due in group had it done. Can't say I know anything about it though? Except it def wasn't amnio just bloods and it was def really early as suggested above

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also- another comment in regards to OP looking for like-minded people and not wanting to offend. I clicked on this thread because of the title and it being in first trimester chat, it seemed like something valid that I may want to read since I am TTC after a loss. The title doesn't insinuate she's looking for like-minded people, it insinuates its going to be informative which is probably why many of us clicked on it, out of curiosity. She chose to use very offensive and hurtful vocabulary like 'murder' and to, in a sense, 'fear-monger' with no credible links.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (19-12-2013),atomicmama  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Of course it is there call.... yet all these people are up in arms that the poster is looking for people who felt the same as she did, not judging anyone who chose to have 'willy nilly' scans. If those who feel that ultrasounds are important are able to give their opinion as they please without having anything to back up their opinion other than personal experience, why is the OP being hung out to dry?
    Because the OP did not start a discussion piece based on her opinions or gut feelings (well, she did, but that's not how she presented it). She started it based on a number of "facts" that she presented which contradict current medical advice, and have nothing to back them up.

To entitle a thread 'why you shouldn't [insert medical advice here]' and to throw around false statistics (e.g., that most ultrasounds wrongly diagnose Down syndrome), along with emotive phrases such as the use of the word 'murder' when talking about a termination... All of these things are going to get people's backs up, and I think the OP should rightly be challenged on them.

Her advice is not only incorrect, but is fear mongering, and dangerous.

Had she started a topic that said she personally felt nervous about ultrasounds and wasn't going to get one, then people may have been gentler in their approach.

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (19-12-2013),atomicmama  (04-04-2013),beebs  (04-04-2013),dancingchipmunk  (04-04-2013),DarcyJ  (04-04-2013),Elijahs Mum  (04-04-2013),Kirst33  (04-04-2013),lambjam  (04-04-2013),Lincolns mummy  (04-04-2013),waitinghoping  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bub4mepls View Post
    Hugs hun. I can appreciate that this would scare you a bit.

Like Kirst33 said go back through this thread and read the replies. Maybe talk to your ob as well. They should be able to put your mind at ease a bit.

Sending you good vibes for the rest of your wonderful pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I suspect the study referred to in the OP is over 10 years old- here is what the AMA had to say about it:
    https://m.ama.com.au/media/swedish-u...od-science-ama

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (04-04-2013),DarcyJ  (04-04-2013),delirium  (04-04-2013),Elijahs Mum  (04-04-2013),FluffyDucks  (04-04-2013),Kirst33  (04-04-2013),lambjam  (04-04-2013),Lincolns mummy  (04-04-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (04-04-2013),MissMuppet  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I suspect the study referred to in the OP is over 10 years old- here is what the AMA had to say about it:
    https://m.ama.com.au/media/swedish-u...od-science-ama
    Yes, that was the only study I could find - and it was based on data from the 1970s, and showed a possible correlation between ultrasound and left handedness in male babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Yes, that was the only study I could find - and it was based on data from the 1970s, and showed a possible correlation between ultrasound and left handedness in male babies.
    OMG not a left handed child. Aarrrgggghhhh anything but a leftie *sob*
    Why oh why did I have all those scans...

Don't know how to insert a 'tongue in cheek' emoticon

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (19-12-2013),Ashram  (04-04-2013),beebs  (04-04-2013),FluffyDucks  (04-04-2013),safam  (04-04-2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast