+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Well I was pregnant with mono-amniotic twins who were severely disabled and not developing properly. Thank god for ultrasounds. Who knows what would've happened.

I don't like too many ultrasounds, but I think having a morph scan is sensible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Also, my last baby was thought to be head down when I was in labour. Lucky the ultrasound detected she was moving and in transverse lie and c-section required.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Of course it is there call.... yet all these people are up in arms that the poster is looking for people who felt the same as she did, not judging anyone who chose to have 'willy nilly' scans. If those who feel that ultrasounds are important are able to give their opinion as they please without having anything to back up their opinion other than personal experience, why is the OP being hung out to dry? The OP clearly stated in her post

So if you are not undecided or similarly minded I guess this is not the thread for you *shrug*

Meanwhile welcome to the hub OP.
    When the OP makes unjust statements she is leaving herself open to opposing comments. I think personal experiences, in this instance, are important in discussion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I am not up in arms about anything other than, coming on here, spouting heaps of so called "quality research" and then putting nothing up to back it up. I suppose I should be used to it from reading the vaccination section. But I tell you, it is one of the one things that drives me crazy on forums. How hard is it? She has obviously read the information somewhere. Cut and paste the link.

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Of course it is there call.... yet all these people are up in arms that the poster is looking for people who felt the same as she did, not judging anyone who chose to have 'willy nilly' scans. If those who feel that ultrasounds are important are able to give their opinion as they please without having anything to back up their opinion other than personal experience, why is the OP being hung out to dry? The OP clearly stated in her post

So if you are not undecided or similarly minded I guess this is not the thread for you *shrug*

Meanwhile welcome to the hub OP.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (04-04-2013),Atropos  (04-04-2013),Guest654  (04-04-2013),lambjam  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd love to know more about this blood test that can supposedly tell you your baby's gender at 7 weeks. The only way to use blood tests to confirm gender is to take the blood from the baby, which is far more involved and risky that a simple ultrasound.

And more the the point, allowing gender determination by amnio at 7 weeks would probably result in terminations by people who already have say, 5 boys and wanted a girl (it has been shown to happen in other countries where boys are preferred over girls).

The entire rest of your post is pretty much all BS too but PPs seem to have covered everything else.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

CatesBean  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumnut76 View Post
    The ultrasound performed during pregnancy do not just scan the baby. They also check the mothers internal organs - ovaries, tubes, outer uterus, bladder etc. This is important to ensure that several other conditions are not present. I've seen more than a few cases where tumours and molar pregnancies have been picked up and the mother was able to get appropriate care without endangering her or her baby's life. .
    Yep my NT scan picked up 3 x 10cm fibroids that I had no idea about, 1 covering my cervix making a vaginal birth impossible and my 20 week scan picked up my shortening cervix , the baby was fine , I was the one they had to monitor!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I generally agree with most PP that the risks associated with ultrasounds are far lower than the risks associated with the numerous treatable problems which they can detect. I personally have found a balance I'm comfortable with, which for me is no dating or NT scan, but anatomy scan at 20 weeks and others at OB office when she suggests them.

The issues of increased temperature and 'dwell spots' (where the transducer is left in one position too long) are generally reduced by having skilled clinicians perform the u/s.
    I find it FAR more concerning that you are now able to hire pieces of medical equipment to use at home with no training - eeek! As one PP mentioned a Doppler is counted in some of these studies, yet I'm pretty sure you can hire a Doppler machine to take home with you (ditto for tens machines etc)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I find the idea of a 'home doppler' quite scary actually. I've heard stories of mums using them when they have reduced movement instead of contacting their midwife/ob and it turns out that they really should have gotten medical help sooner but that is probably a topic for a different discussion.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    A growth scan at 39 weeks confirmed my first daughter was IUGR and needed to be induced immediately. She hadnt grown since 35 weeks and wasn't receiving any nutrients due to placental calcification. If I hadn't had that scan its very likely she would have died in utero.

I had several growth scans through my pregnancy with my second daughter to ensure history didn't repeat itself. I don't regret this one bit.

I don't think the OP meant to offend anyone with her post, but a little fact checking is a wonderful thing.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to meatpopsicle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    You have made some big claims here. This is based on a study in Sweden. Yes, you should post the link up so people who read your post can get a more accurate understanding of the study. You have retold this in your own words which is biased to one view. While you are entitled to your own opinion you have to be careful about preaching it onto other people.

We don't know the context of the study. E.G. Age / fertility etc....

See it from a lateral perspective. If we had no scans there would be more foetal deaths and unmanaged health issues / defects. So having technology such ultra sounds by far have more benefits.

It has taken me two years to fall pregnant through IVF and I had a blood clot at 7 weeks, the day after my heartbeat scan. If I didn't have a scan to detect that I lost half of my placenta which required medical intervention this bub in my tummy would not be here today. He is ahead in growth and has a beautiful strong heartbeat.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pippi01 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (04-04-2013),Kirst33  (04-04-2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast