+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Really? I have seen lots of threads where women talked about having dating scans/ NT scans and 34 week growth scans not for their original purpose but simply to see the baby. Then there are OBs who will give a scan every time a patient has an appointment 'just to have a look', despite having a perfectly healthy low risk pregnancy.
    NT scans are medical. I have never met anyone who has had a 34 week growth scan just for the hell of it. Not saying they don't exist but I argue strongly they are in the minority.

I do agree with the OP that u/s can be notoriously wrong for Down Syndrome. But it can lead the parents to further testing, which is their right.

I'm not saying every woman should have 20 u/s willy nilly. What I'm arguing is that for the majority of women that have repeat scans, that it's for a reason. And trying to make these women feel guilty by the OP minimising their reasons in the name of a perceived safety is disingenuous.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (19-12-2013),Kirst33  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by Cinderella82; 10-08-2013 at 21:47.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Really? I have seen lots of threads where women talked about having dating scans/ NT scans and 34 week growth scans not for their original purpose but simply to see the baby. Then there are OBs who will give a scan every time a patient has an appointment 'just to have a look', despite having a perfectly healthy low risk pregnancy.
    I had a dating scan 'simply to see the baby'. I had opted not to have the NT scan and wanted to know before 20 weeks that there was a healthy pregnancy. Had I not got my scan, I have no idea how long it would have taken my body to acknowledge my blighted ovum.

If people choose not to have ultrasounds that's okay, but atleast make sure you aren't dribbling sh!t as to why. If people choose to have ultrasounds willy nilly, that's their call.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ultrasound saved my baby's life. It's not just for fun! I firmly believe that the 20wk ultrasound should be bulk billed so everyone can access it without the high costs.
    My baby was born with a severe heart defect that was picked up at the 20 wk ultrasound and monitored through scans for the rest of the pregnancy. Without that detection she would have been born, come home, and probably died when she went into heart failure at 4 weeks. Because we knew about the problem her life was saved. Some issues can't be found until its too late.

Did you know that 1 in 100 babies are born with a heart defect (in varying severity) and that ultrasound picks these up and saves lives? And that's just heart defects, not the myriad of other issues that can be detected.

Ultrasound is a vital medical tool that saves lives, like anything, you weigh up the risks of tests and make an informed decision. Ultrasound is very low risk in comparison to what it might show that can be fixed/treated.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (19-12-2013),Guest654  (04-04-2013),Kirst33  (04-04-2013),veggiemama  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    There are quite a few OBs in Melbourne who u/s every appointment whether there is a concern or not. I have zero issue with u/s but personally don't see the point in having one every time. But all my pregnancies have been straightforward after 12 weeks. If I'd had an issue with a pregnancy or a still born baby I imagine I might feel very differently with subsequent pregnancies.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (04-04-2013),Kirst33  (04-04-2013),lambjam  (04-04-2013),mousky  (29-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my second pregnancy I had in total approximately 7-10 scans

I was bleeding badly. Aside from a cervical check to tell if it was open or closed for a miscarriage.

Please tell me what else they were supposed to have done to check the baby was alive baring in mind my issues were from Conception through to 13 weeks so its unlikely that a Doppler would have been able to have pick up the heart beat till the 12/13th week and that's if I was lucky.

Was I supposed to go for 13 weeks not knowing of my baby was dead? For the risk of possibly harming her though ultrasound?

Was I supposed to bleed so badly that my thighs were swimming in blood and have it soak through my pants and watch the faces of the ED staff as they seen their blood soaked sheets from where i was sitting and not have a scan each and every time this happened to make sure she was ok? For fear of the ultrasound harming her further?

Don't you think my mentality would have hurt her with all the worry fear and wonder if she was even still alive had I not had those scans..

Let me end this by saying she is a very smart and bright 2.5 year old now. The scans did not harm her one bit. And frankly I don't think they harm babies at all.

Throw this In the basket along with the
    Vax's cause Autism and all the other panic merchant studies with no real value or substance.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Twoalready For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (19-12-2013),Guest654  (04-04-2013),LifeInShadesOfGrey  (04-04-2013),Purple Lily  (04-04-2013),safam  (04-04-2013),wannawannabe  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There was no link in your op and I havnt read all relies so not sure if its gone up since but I am one of those anxious pregnant mums who worry about everything. So on the numerous times I had a bleed in early pregnancy I had a scan to check everything was ok. With DD1 i had 2 scans, DD2 I had 4 scans and with DD3 I had 5 scans.

I am confident that the risks you are speaking of are greatly in the minority. For me my worrying far out weighs the very slight risks you are speaking of. I believe that an anxiety free pregnancy for me would be extremely beneficial for my bub. I wouldn't do anything differently

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoalready View Post
    frankly I don't think they harm babies at all.

Throw this In the basket along with the
    Vax's cause Autism and all the other panic merchant studies with no real value or substance.
    Totally agree with this!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course it is there call.... yet all these people are up in arms that the poster is looking for people who felt the same as she did, not judging anyone who chose to have 'willy nilly' scans. If those who feel that ultrasounds are important are able to give their opinion as they please without having anything to back up their opinion other than personal experience, why is the OP being hung out to dry? The OP clearly stated in her post

So if you are not undecided or similarly minded I guess this is not the thread for you *shrug*

Meanwhile welcome to the hub OP.
    OP clearly called terminating a baby because something is wrong 'murdering.' And then insensitively states that babies that need to die will and that they only die because of chromosomal issues. She starts out her post asking for similar views but then pretty much goes on a very uninformed lecture about the dangers of scans and how unnecessary they are. If she only wanted people with similar thoughts she should have left it with her first paragraph and changed the title.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (04-04-2013),Benji  (04-04-2013),Guest654  (04-04-2013),lambjam  (04-04-2013),Lincolns mummy  (04-04-2013)