User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Maternity Leave Letter

I submitted this to my boss and I haven't gotten a response yet...

(Date)

Dear (name),
    In relation to maternity leave, I wish to notify you that the expected date of my confinement is 11th March 2006. I have enclosed a doctor's report, which confirms my pregnancy and states the presumed date of my confinement.

I wish to commence maternity leave on the 6th March thru to 31st March 2006 inclusive, and then take the 3rd April to 21st April 2006 inclusive, as annual leave. I will be the child’s primary carer during this period, as (DH) will not be taking any parental leave. Leave dates hinge on our childcare arrangements, but I will advise of any changes with 14 days notice prior to return-to-work date. My intention is to return to work on the 24th of April 2006.

The leave I am applying for is no more than 52 weeks.

Kind regards,
    (Me)

I approached him almost two weeks ago to have a sit down meeting about what we can plan for next year, but he hasn't got back to me on that either. I know only have to advise my employer 10 weeks prior but I wanted to get in early because over Christmas our workload is the heaviest all year. And he is going on four weeks leave starting 9th December, so it will be almost impossible to have a meeting with him too close to then.

How did you ladies approach the subject? Am I doing anything wrong?
    #1 - Matthias - Feb 06
    #2 - Daniella - December 07

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depending on where you work, you might need to submit it in the form of a Statutory Declaration.

I know that is what I need to do where I work, but the basic information it needs to contain is the same as what you have stated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you said even more in your letter than I did. I don't think you've done anything wrong or missed anything. Your boss might just not see what the big deal is. If he's happy with your scheduled plans then he may not see a need to sit down to discuss them. Is there an HR person or office manager you could have a chat with instead?

Can I ask why you're taking some of your time as annual leave? Is is to keep a paycheck coming in (and I don't blame you on that one!). Just be careful not to use up all your annual leave as you can be sure that bub will get a few colds in his first months of daycare and you or your DH will need to be able to take time off to care for him/her. My employer lets me use sick days when my DD is sick, instead of using up my annual leave, but not all have this policy.
    Martha
    Jack of all trades, master of none.
    But loving this life of mine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    MarthaM you avatar is Too Cute LOL how did you get that HUH?

I was very lucky with my work as alot of girls went on maternity leave around the same time so my boss organised everything for me. I too took all my annual leave to supplement my maternity leave (as I only got 16 weeks at half pay). Marthas right though about bubs getting sick once in child care, however I had about three weeks worth of sick leave stocked up before going on maternity leave so I didnt have a problem when DS did get sick once in care. I also found that after a month or two in care he stopped getting sick (just my experience though)

I think you've done all the right things and you should try again to make a meeting time as you said its only going to get busier around chrissy time LOL

Good luck and keep us posted
    Me~ Proud Single Mumma turning 30
    DS~ almost 4
    DD~ Shes One!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't forget you need a Stat Dec and Doc Certificate also...

The easiest way would be, ask your boss again.

Thomas'sMum
    Me, DH and DS. Life's great
    A retired Forum Moderator

Thanks
    Reviews

Default ...I worry for nothing

Seems as soon as I start worrying, the problem solves itself. We've been very busy at work the past week. And having one of the production managers off sick has put more pressure on my boss.

Anyway, long story short, he was happy with everything and closer to my dates - we'll sit down and talk about how they'll cover for me while I'm gone.

MarthaM, I'm using my annual leave from this year. The Maternity payment will cover the time I'm taking off but I know with all the things I'll have to buy for baby, I'll need any extra cash I can get coming in. The comany allows sick days to care for sick children. We're not a large scale company so they're very big on being flexible with employees and understanding when it comes to family.

orlandosmum, like you I've accumulated a lot of sick leave. I've only had five days off in four years.

aardvark, I've heard that some bigger companies require a Stat dec, but I think from our talk, the boss thought I'd covered all the bases and was satisfied with everything. I think he was just wrapped with the idea I wouldn't be gone long.

ThomasMum, I did gave him the doctor's letter confirming my pregnancy and my expected due date

Looking forward to greeting bub. We find out if it's a he or she on Wednesday. I can hardly wait! Thank you all for your replies.
    #1 - Matthias - Feb 06

BabyJoy is offline It's fun to paint in the nude!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Kimmy are your dates correct? That doesn't seem like much time to rest after the birth (not to mention spend time with your newborn). I understand some mums don't have the luxury of taking time off without pay, but you should perhaps consider that you might be the one that needs a break from work, not the baby... especially if you have a c-section.
    The other thing is that if baby arrives early, you have to start your leave from that date which means your starting date back to work may change.
    Shannon 35
    DH 36
    DD 26/02/06 My little ray of sunshine!
    16/06/09 - 10 weeks
    DD2 10/06/10 My bonnie babe!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Shannon,

There's six weeks compulsory maternity leave following the birth. And all I can say about EDD is baby will come when he likes

Which is probably early judging from my scan yesterday. He's a little over 6 days ahead of his estimated size for his age. And in the 81% percentile for his weight. DH was a 9 pound and I was 7.5. I really hope I find a middle ground. I don't know how I'll go with a 9 pound...

I'm scheduled for a water birth at my local public hospital. To have a C-section will only happen if the baby's in distress or on the OB's recommendation.

After we finally had that sit down talk (my boss and I), I got to find out his thoughts on my pregnancy. Seems they're very flexible to mine and baby's needs, and whatever happens will support me. However chaotic it turns out if baby comes early. We also talked about my coming in with baby once or twice a week for a few hours. It'll help with my transition, and depending on bub's temprament might even leave them open to the idea of baby staying with me for a couple months at work. Nothing's set in stone at the moment. The letter was more just to have them aware of what I had planned.
    #1 - Matthias - Feb 06