+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I do add grated veg to mine though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Saute garlic and onion in olive oil, add beef mince or a combo of beef and pork and brown. Add a few tablespoons of tomato paste and let it cook off, add a tin of tomatoes and a bottle of passata (put water in the passata bottle and then tip it into the sauce). Add herbs - parsley and basil, season with salt and a bit of sugar and let it simmer and thicken for 1-1.5 hours.

I sometimes add mushrooms and red capsicum after I've browned the mince

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CakeyLoaf View Post
    I'm so surprised at all the variations here. My dads italian and he would probably have a heart attack if I told him I added Worcestershire sauce, bacon, BBQ or mushrooms haha
    I'm Italian but my family growing up didn't make a spag bol, we did more a ragu. I leaned from about spag bol from my DH!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    thanks guys im taking them all in and will try them all til i find one i like. I appreciate you guys sharing the recipes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Saute garlic and onion in olive oil, add beef mince or a combo of beef and pork and brown. Add a few tablespoons of tomato paste and let it cook off, add a tin of tomatoes and a bottle of passata (put water in the passata bottle and then tip it into the sauce). Add herbs - parsley and basil, season with salt and a bit of sugar and let it simmer and thicken for 1-1.5 hours.

Thats exactly how I do mine but add fresh oregano instead of parsley and lots of black pepper! I mix baby spinach through DS portion before serving his for an added veggie kick

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    1 diced onion
    Olive Oil
    Garlic (I love garlic, so I use about 3 cloves... lol) crushed
    1-2 grated carrots
    1-2 grated zucchinis
    Pork and veal mince
    4-5 fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped (you can find info via google on how to peel fresh tomatoes easily)
    Basil
    Oregano
    red wine
    Salt and pepper

Add olive oil to a saucepan over med heat. Add onion and garlic. Stir until softened. Add grated carrot and zucchini, Stir until soft. Add meat. Stir occasionally until browned. Add tomatoes. Stir and bring to a boil. Add wine (I don't measure). Turn heat down as low as possible and simmer for at least an hour. Add herbs and salt and pepper to taste near the end. I go heavy handed on these things.

Mushrooms are also fabulous, but DP hates them so I never get hte chance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Thats exactly how I do mine but add fresh oregano instead of parsley and lots of black pepper! I mix baby spinach through DS portion before serving his for an added veggie kick
    That sounds yum, I'm going to give it a go - I could have baby spinach in everything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Cook off lots of onion, garlic and anchovies in olive oil. Add mince (pork and beef). Add puréed veg (carrot, zucchini, etc). Add two bottles passata, brown lentils, dried oregano, a couple tsp sugar and slurp balsamic vinegar. Cook slowly for a long time. Lots of basil at the end. Parmesan to serve.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Pretty much this for me too, but I put in grated carrot & zucchini (when I grow zucchini I use it in heaps of stuff) and spinach (endless supply from the garden). I pretty much load it with veggies. Spag Bol is great as its so easy to make with lots of variation and so tasty!

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews

Very similar to what I do. I think sugar is key and a good slug of white wine too.