+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMoosMum View Post
    Even with my store bought sauces i would buy fresh herbs to put in. thats why i want to just try a completely fresh home made approach.
    Ive wanted to start a herb and veg path but our realestate said nope.
    Dh is looking at doing a freestanding herb garden for me this weekend it becomes reality
    I rent so i have all my herbs in pots and in these bags you can get from bunnings. You plant hebs in the top and in side pockets located around it.
    Another option is using those plastic shoe holders with the pockets in them. I think you can actually buy a herb specific one from bunnings for about $5. You can just hang it over a fence or railing and fill each pocket with soil and plant your herbs.

As for spag bol, i only ever use lentils or tvp- no meat here.
    For the sauce i use garlic, onion, tinned tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, rosemary, mixed herbs and sometimes others.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

MonsterMoosMum  (03-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I add soy sauce and worstershire sauce to my spaghetti bog sauces I think it was passes down from my Oma . Weird hey

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks everyone i appreciate the ideas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly8329 View Post
    I add soy sauce and worstershire sauce to my spaghetti bog sauces I think it was passes down from my Oma . Weird hey
    I do this too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly8329 View Post
    Nope! Not weird! My Mum taught me the same way and we're Aussies lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh really!!!!! I have never found someone else who does this besides my mum! Haha and even when I'm lazy using jarred sauce I still add the sauces and yeah we are Dutch but Aussie. How funny

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know measurements, because it's generally just done to taste, but I use crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, bbq sauce, garlic, mixed herbs, salt and pepper.

It's usually a tin of crushed tomato, then a good dollop of tomato sauce, a good drizzle of bbq sauce and a couple of tea spoons of garlic, then everything else I just add a little bit at a time until I'm happy with the taste...

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Passata...i love it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Fry finely chopped onion and bacon, add crushed garlic, add beef mince and fry until brown.
    Put in a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste and cook it off. Throw in a glug of balsalmic vinegar and then a large bottle of passata. Simmer away for ages. I sometimes add very finely grated zucchini and carrot which I've squeezed all the moisture out of.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so surprised at all the variations here. My dads italian and he would probably have a heart attack if I told him I added Worcestershire sauce, bacon, BBQ or mushrooms haha