+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How to keep her off the tube???

** I had this posted in general health area but no hits, so i thought i'd try here**

DD is 6, turning 7 in July.
    She has a big medical history including 4 yrs of tube feeding and a stint on TPN.

DD is currently 105cm, 18.4kg and losing weight (she was very very close to 20kg in December).

DD isn't eating enough to sustain weight, let alone grow. What can I do?? I'd dearly love to keep her off the tube, but its not looking likely at the moment.

I try and offer her foods i know she likes, within reason of course. I cannot control her eating while she's at school, and some does she eats absolutly nothing from her lunch box. Ive asked the teacher aide to keep an eye on her but she can't really do much but encourage.

Often DD will refuse breakfast and or dinner, and barely eat in between. Ive tried rewarding, praise and encouragement, allowing leway in meal times for her but nothing is working!!

Any suggestions?
    How much does your almost 7 yr old eat, are they a healthy weight?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Could you try supplementing with sustagen? I don't have a 7 yr old but I remember my mum telling me that she used to give me sustagen all the time if I didn't eat enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Op does she like lollies? The reason why I ask us because a lot of vitamins now look like lollies, so even if she gets a multivitamin into her then at least she's getting some nutrients ( I've now had 19 weeks of not being able to eat but can keep vitamins down so at least I know I'm getting some nutrients )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At our school they don't let a couple of the kids play at lunch/recess until they've eaten all their food. Somedays he sits there for an hour and refuses but then when he sees he is missing out he usually starts eating. Could the aid do something similar?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to flyawayfree For This Useful Post:

LivinOnAPrayer  (03-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats a great idea, to approach the school.

We've tried polyjule in her juice, which works ok but not a big effect, and pediasure mixed into foods we can hide it in (pastas etc). She will not drink the pediasure as she wont drink milk.

She has a multivitamin and probiotic every night so atleast thats something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Will she drink smoothies? We make our DD breakfast smoothies - weetbix, banana, yoghurt, honey & milk. Difficult if she won't drink milk - do you use an alternative, soy, rice or almond milk?

DD1 is tube fed about 50% of her diet. Things we add to boost her oral intake are olive oil and coconut cream in smoothies. Sustagen make an instant pudding mix that she loves, you can get this from the chemist. Avocado in a fruit or banana smoothie works well - it seems to be hidden and doesn't have any taste that she detects. A favourite evening meal is mashed potato with egg, ham, cheese and finely chopped spinach. Not a lot of vege in there I know! I make the mash with full cream milk and butter and I'm just happy that she is eating it.

I find with DD that when her weight is at a healthy level she eats much better but if for some reason - say she's had cold and not eaten well, lost he appetite and a couple of kilos then even though she has recovered from the cold it really takes her a good couple of weeks to start eating well again. Then as we boost up her weight again she wills tart to eat more orally and need the tube less.

Have you tried getting her to help you cook and make things, would she be more likely to eat something she has made?

Goodluck! I know how stressful it can be trying to get you child to eat and gain weight!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If she wont drink milk what about high calorie juice like drinks? We give them to really sick adults in hospital. They are called ensure plus a dietician would be able to help you get onto them. They are as good as pedisure in calories if not better. Constipation can be a big issue for our kiddos my ex prem 3 yr old is also ex tube fed and thin 13kg and if he is constipated he will refuse to eat for weeks in end. You can get diarrhoea that is due to constipation as a previous poster said but is actually overflow sorry tmi but can be diarrhoea looking with jelly stuff too. He is on regular movicol too. Is there any food she likes? Chocolate or custard, its so frustrating when you cant get them to eat. Big hugs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just thought id add my friends middle child who is now 12 was only 22kgs until recently (no medical issues at all). She didnt eat much either until now. Could your dd be dairy intolerant seeing as she has a long history of tube feeding and tpn. Did she have bad reflux as a young bub and toddler? Its not always easy to pickup sometimes especially when they cant tell you. Sounds a bit far out but have you tried other non dairy milks almond and rice come to mind. Also coconut oil added to any food is a great calorie booster. We also add lsa mix to my lil mans brekky its linseeds almond and sunflower mix lots of good calories
    hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you heard of fortijuice that may be an option if she dosnt like milk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

DD is on Lactalous (sp??) for her constipation, it seems to be finally having a decent effect on her bowels.

DD wont drink anything milk based, regardless of the type of milk, she wont even try it. A lot of her issues are oral aversion related, she just hates trying new things. Or even things she'd usually eat.

She loves juice so i will deffiantly ask the dietitian. We are seeing the dietitian this arvo