+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any experience with baby flat head syndrome?

Has anyone had babies who have had quite bad flat spots on the side of their heads from favouring one side while sleeping?

Did it just 'round out' once they started crawling and spending less time sleeping?

I wasn't aware this was such an issue and let my baby sleep whichever way he wanted, which tended to always be on his right side until i realized he was developing a pretty obvious flat spot. Since 2 months i've been turning his head whenever i catch him on his right side, but it's like a full time job! I turn it and he turns it right back! He is now 3 months and i'm at my wits end - i'm spending so much time 'turning his head' i can't get anything done while he's napping and would hate to think i'm wasting all this time and energy over something that will just correct itself on it's own in time.

Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My boy has a funny shaped head ... He sustained some serious injuries at birth so was only able to lay with his head on one side...couldn't be held and also couldn't do any tummy time. I was very concerned about it all and the doctors and child health nurse assured me that it would eventually correct itself and only to be concerned if it didn't get better by 6 months. We just make a conscious effort to encourage him to turn his head the other way without physically forcing it. He is three months old now.... It's definately improving...I was quite embarrassed by it at first but now I am just happy my son is healthy and healed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to heymegz For This Useful Post:

Babymakin101  (03-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go see a paed Chiro. I was referred to a Physio by my chn that had a 6 wk wait when DS was 6 wks old. I went to a private Physio who gave me exercises to do with him. But someone recommended a paediatric chiropractor and he was so worth it. We saw him 3 times a week initially but the difference was amazing. DS always favoured his right side and hid head was very flat with his forehead protruding over his eye if you sat him on your lap and looked down. Even after such early intervention it's still a bit flat. You wouldn't notice if you didn't know and he had curly hair which helps hide it. DS had neck problems which may be the cause of your little ones issues. You definitely need to get it sorted out though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bellaleggos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No experience but I used to rotate the position in the cot so that bub could still see me but would have to turn their head in different position each time.

Use a mirror to distract and engage bub.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ds2 developed a flat spot because the muscles in his neck were tight and he couldn't turn his head to the left.

I only noticed that he couldn't turn his head because I literally couldn't turn his head at all to the left when I tried to rotate his head.

By 2-3 months it was pretty obvious.

We went to a baby chiro to gently release the pressure in his neck and then he started to turn his head more.

He's now 18 months and it's still there a little, but much better and only noticeable to me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    You are doing the right thing. I went through this with DS and saw a paed physio who advised that the key thing to do is to counter position his head when he was asleep. Other things we had to do:
    - Lots of tummy time to strengthen the neck muscles. This doesn't have to be on the floor, it can also be holding them upright as you walk around, holding them in your arms so their chest is on your forearm, on the floor with a rolled up towel or leg under their chest for support, lying on your back with them on your chest (so chest to chest).
    - Get on the floor with him and gently move his head to the side he didn't favour and lie down with him so he can see your face
    - Lie baby on their back, hold their hands and gently pull them up (neck strengthening exercise)
    - Counter position the head at every sleep and be vigilant.

With DD I used to put her in her cot on her tummy when I washed my hands after a nappy change. That way she got regular very short bursts of tummy time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told by an old midwife to put baby to sleep at the opposite end of the cot each day. They will always turn to face out giving their head even time on both sides. Bubs never had a flat spot.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shaz2184 For This Useful Post:

Babymakin101  (03-04-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (03-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My middy said to out a used breadtpad on the side he didn't face so he would turn his head. I never had to do it and not sure if it works or not

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd get it looked at if I were you. My nephew was a fantastic sleeper from day 1 and always slept on back of his head. His mum asked about his flat head and was told its sort itself out. He is now 6 and its still very flat and quite noticeable when he has short hair.
    His mum wishes she'd sought a 2nd opinion at the time.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaz2184 View Post
    I was told by an old midwife to put baby to sleep at the opposite end of the cot each day. They will always turn to face out giving their head even time on both sides. Bubs never had a flat spot.
    Love this idea. Cant believe ive never thought of this before. Although im not UTD yet, i will be doing this with bub no 3!