+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Change of career? Any teachers out there?

Just wondering if there are any teachers out there who have completely changed their career? I've been teaching for 10 years and have returned this year part time after my second lot of maternity leave.

I am finding that I'm not enjoying the job any more. I feel like I'd love a job where you go home at the end of the day and leave work at work. I'd like to get paid for the hours I actually put in (cue all the teacher bashing about working 9-3 12 weeks holiday a year blah blah). I'm finding I'm a bit over working with kids, especially dealing with overly emotional parents who think that I don't know how to do my job. I'm over the programming expectations and all the hoops we seem to have to jump through.

Maybe I've got a 10 year itch or something but I think I'd like to do something else. Anyone out there feeling the same as me or have made a career change? I'd love to hear from you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumpity bump anyone?

Mod-biscotti is online now Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I didn't completely change my career as such but I did go and teach in a quite different setting for 10 years after 10 years in a main****** classroom and now I have gone full circle and am back in a primary classroom and enjoying it again.

Perhaps consider a setting change? A change is as good as a holiday or so they say

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (02-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not speaking from experience(I'm only 2nd year in lol) but I know of quiet a few teachers who have gone on to work for different training organisations or coordinators that help schools with different support programs or curriculum areas - no idea what the real job titles are . Others have opened their own business in sports clinics and tutoring. I also know a few that have gone on to work for department of family and community services. I'm not sure what state you are in but I know in NSW you can go on leave for a certain amount of years to study (can be something unrelated to teaching) and they have to hold your job.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mummyrissa For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (02-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I left after 6 years, and landed into an airline job which I love. I do miss the holidays, and sometimes shift work sucks, but as you said, I no longer bring my job home with me.

I still relief teach occasionally at my old school, so just remember that your options never leave.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bluemarlin For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (02-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies guys! Biscotti maybe a change would be good. Are you feeling like you love your job again? I used to love it so much but lately that's really evaporated for me.

Blue marlin I admire your courage to change. I'm not sure if I've got the guts to do it! I'm glad you have a job you love though; I really miss that.

I'm in NSW and can take leave without pay. Might have to think about what else I'd like to do!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply

Thanks
    Reviews
    I 'technically' have. I taught for 2 years before having DD, and now am working in website and communications for DH's company. I say I've technically changed because I was Communications Coordinator for a few not for profits before I did my Grad Dip Ed, so I was more going back to something else. I have found it much easier than teaching would have been with 15 month old DD. I can pick it up/or leave it when I need to, whereas I can't imagine teaching and then having to go home and give DD my full attention. It's definitely not in me at the moment.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to moto For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (06-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moto View Post
    I 'technically' have. I taught for 2 years before having DD, and now am working in website and communications for DH's company. I say I've technically changed because I was Communications Coordinator for a few not for profits before I did my Grad Dip Ed, so I was more going back to something else. I have found it much easier than teaching would have been with 15 month old DD. I can pick it up/or leave it when I need to, whereas I can't imagine teaching and then having to go home and give DD my full attention. It's definitely not in me at the moment.
    That's how I feel too! With my two DS's it just isn't in me at the moment. Now I think I need to consider what kind of job I'd like next. One without dealing with kids all the time!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a teacher, who has been out of the classroom for several years on parental leave, but I think when I return I want to do something like ESL or Reading Recovery. Or even go into workplace training, which I did years ago pre-teaching. Not too keen to go back into a classroom full time. I'll be happy just picking up some supply work for a few more years.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (06-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck! It's a big decision but maybe if you just look at seek and see what's available in your area you'll come up with some ideas.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to moto For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (06-04-2013)