+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I would wait and see how essential a backyard is going to be for you.

If you don't spend much time at home (say, you both work, are busy on weekends etc) then I don't think it's a massive problem to not have much of a backyard. You also may find you have a child that's more interested in indoor play. DD is much more likely to be found reading a book inside than playing outside. It's just the kid she is.

If you have a local playground nearby, there's another reason why a backyard might not be that important.

I'd just wait a while... and then think about it and how important it is. I was happy when we got our house with a big backyard - but it honestly doesn't even really get used.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    New house wouldn't b small. Our current house is 460sq and would prob build a 300sq (hubby is a tradie so have contacts)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    For us the yard is important - we have an average size 4 br home on a big block with pool and DS plays outside all the time - the first thing DH does when he gets home is go outside and play ball/cricket/soccer with 2.5yr old DS plus we entertain a lot and most of our family/friends have kids of various ages and they run riot in our yard and pool

Build your new house and you never know later on you can always add on or make it bigger !

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me it's not so much yard space, as distance from the neighbours space

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Disbride For This Useful Post:

jellybub  (02-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're doing the opposite move to what you're contemplating! We have a very modest 3x1 house on a large block in an older suburb, and we've just bought a postage stamp 415 sq m block near the beach and Fremantle and are about to build our dream home which will almost be 3 times the size. We'll have limited backyard, but we will have a park area 4 doors down and a the beach a very short stroll away - so that made us decide the lack of backyard was fine.

Does your dream house with limited yard have any parks, playgrounds etc nearby that you would/could visit regularly?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by House Mumma View Post
    Wow, Thats still a decent sized house so I would definitely move: Large house, heaps of space and smaller mortgage.

Good luck with your decision.
    This. Id move without a doubt. imo a bigger yard is more important than a bigger house! - less to clean too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd move for sure for reasons others have mentioned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd stay. We just built our dream home, it has very little backyard once we added a pool, BUT there is a massive park at the end of the street which we would probably use more than what we would if we had a backyard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd build the new house for sure. I think having a decent yard for kids to run around in is a must.

Being able to stay home for a few more years would be a massive incentive on its own for me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Being that far away from a park and being able to stay home for longer would probably make me consider moving.

I'm not wedded to a backyard but where we live we are spoilt for choice when it comes to parks within a 5 minute walk.