+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default House question- what would u do?

Hubby and I were very fortunate to pretty much build our dream home last year at 27 years old. (big 2 storey, pool etc that we designed ourselves!!) in a nice area. But we have no backyard and have just had our first child. We have a mortgage around 300k.
    Now we can sell our current home, buy a bigger block (almost quarter acre) in the suburb next door, build a smaller home, still with pool, but have a backyard for put daughter too. By doing this we would have either no mortgage or a very small one so financially would b getting ahead.
    So what should we do??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Depends on whether your income comfortably covers your current mortgage. I wouldn't leave a dream home just to get a backyard, but I would consider it if we were struggling financially.

We have a small 4bed house with a modest backyard and honestly I'd prefer to have more living space inside and no backyard. We have a park at the end of our street with a playground and lake etc so DD has a lot of outside time there.

Are you planning to have more kids?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

upforroundtwo  (03-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd stay in my dream home and do what i could with the backyard...if you can afford it get a great playground fort like the ones in macca's and hungry jacks???? it would be worth it if you are planning on more kids??
    There is also heaps of alternitives such as joinging the pcyc or other clubs your kids maybe interested in. We used to have a massive backyard and the kids used it with pleasure but have now moved and have a tiny backyard...the kids have found other ways to entertain themselves plus joined other groups etc
    Last edited by ozeymumof5; 02-04-2013 at 12:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would also pick a house with lots of room indoors over a big backyard.

Can you easily afford repayments on your current loan?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Having a descent sized backyard was a must for us when we bought a new house last year, having two kids we needed to space. I would much rather have the land than a pool (unless of course you swim in it daily). Pools take too much effort to maintain and cost too much to run IMO, there were a lot of houses we didn't consider because of the lack of space and having a pool (unless it was worthwhile filling the pool in to make additional land). My idea of a dream house changed dramatically after having kids....
    I agree missie-Mack. We've just purchased a new home on a huge block (1148 sq m) and the backyard was a huge factor when house hunting. So many places now have these enormous houses and nowhere for outdoor play. Both my boys just love being out in the backyard and there's plenty of room for hubby to build his dream shed. OP I guess it comes down to what matters for your family and for us a decent backyard was an absolute must.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeh it's hard though because when I say we have no backyard I literally mean NO backyard!!! We have a pool and some concrete and that's about it! We want one more child (no pets) and the closest park is about 20 min walk Away....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yard size trumps house for me every time, I'm an outdoor girl. I have no interest in a big fancy house on no land, so for ME I would be moving to the 1/4 acre block, no doubt about it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (02-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For us a big backyard with easy access from the living area is a big reason for a move. Currently we have a reasonable sized yard but it's not easily accessible for play. As I'm home at least half the week with our 1.5yo dd and I want our 6yo to be active we want to move ASAP. Our dd won't be away from home in full time care until school & our ds won't be going to afterschool care much, so for us it is important. BUT, if you both work full time and have kids in full day care (at whatever age) then the need would be a lot less I would think. I certainly wouldn't move to a house that cost a lot more so I would need to be away from home a lot more as that would defeat the purpose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd build on the new block, assuming by smaller house you don't mean tiny. I'd much rather backyard space to extra living space, and if you can have no or a very small mortgage, I think it's a great opportunity at 27 yrs old to have that financial freedom. Good luck deciding!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. We r going to have a good look at this other block and discuss our options. I'm on maternity leave and would love the option of staying home for a few years so the financial side would be good x