+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4 Month Old Rolling and Waking

Our 4 month old son has just started rolling back to tummy quite proficiently. He can roll tummy to back but does not do it very often as he prefers tummy time during the day..... Anyway we have recently moved him from his cradle to crib and have also started using a sleeping bag as the zip swaddle we were using isn't recommended after they start rolling. We were planning to do all this gradually but didn't expect him to be rolling quite so soon. He was self settling and sleeping through the night, however since moving to the crib/bag is not able to self settle and is waking throughout the night. When he wakes he is rolling to his tummy and sometimes becomes wedged along the side of the crib. I have been going in each time and resettling and moving him back to his back. If he won't settle I have been rocking him to sleep. Has anyone else been through this? Any advice? Thanks :-)
    Last edited by Zadora; 01-04-2013 at 19:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep just been through this my dd finally learnt I self settle bAck to sleep on her tummy. Took a few weeks tho

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad to know there is light at the end of the tunnel! Did you do anything in particular to resettle until bub got there on their own?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just was consistent and kept on resettling her. We also moved her into her own room (she was in cot in our room) as she kept trying to peak out at us through the cot slats lol and this seemed to help also! I think consistency is the key and hopefully it will pass for you soon enough

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm trying to find the answer to this too... DS started rolling at 7 weeks and the waking times at night are becoming a joke - but he is 15 weeks now, surely he has figured it out by now how to get unstuck from the rails?

We started the routine of Brian Symon (Adelaide sleep dr) from birth with DS2. He promised us that for how many weeks old they are, was how many hours their longest sleep would be, and by 12 weeks sleeping 12 hours. We saw him every 2 weeks to have him weighed and review the routine.

At 2 weeks we moved him into his own room, at 3 weeks we moved him into a cot. And at 4 weeks I remember the dr -fiving me because DS was doing 4-5 hours.

Then it got to a point where I put him on s-26 AR (DS1 was on this for 12 months) because it seemed like he wasn't keeping anything down. He was in the 50th percentile but his weight gain per day was decreasing. On occasions we would go into his room after (very short) periods of controlled crying and find him lying on his left side. DS1 was 5 months old when he started rolling so I assumed it was too early. This only happened a few times.

By 6 weeks he did 6 hours and I was really happy (though it wasn't every night). However, projectile vomitting was still an issue occasionally and the thickened formula was causing bad constipation that we couldn't fix. Things started going backwards.

At 7 weeks we were advised to ditch the AR as the dr didn't believe in reflux and was told he would grow out of it. By this point I decided to remove the arm holes of our swaddle as he had began rolling from back to tummy.

The constipation went away immediately after changing back to s-26 original. There was a good 4-5 days of him adjusting to having his arms out (lots crying) but that soon cleared.

However, he is now almost 3 and half months and he still doesn't sleep through. We put him down at 6, he will feed again at 7, we dream feed him at 10 because he is now in the 30th percentile (which I put down to him being way more active than babies who don't yet roll at that age). However, sometimes he wakes at 9 or 930 before we can even dream feed. He then wakes again about 4-5 hours later. And every 2 hours after that. The other night it was 3, last night 2am and tonight the crying started at midnight (didn't even do 3 hours). I'm over it - whilst he self settles to sleep well, he doesn't stay asleep for long. During the day I'm lucky for him to sleep an hr. which is a nightmare with a 23 month old!

It's either the rolling thing or taking him off the AR which has caused this. He has heaps of tummy time, I don't know what else to do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub did his first roll on 2 march and within a week got really proficient with it and kept rolling onto his tummy in his night sleep needing rescuing cos he hates to be on his tummy...it was a few times for a weeks or more. We bought a sturdy sleep positioner and that helped him to stay on his side and not do a full rollover.

Soon after he settled down and could sleep fine either on his back or side but occasionally if he's fully waking due to hunger he would still rollover, but it has way improved and he only wakes once for a feed around 3-4am (we tried water he got upset but given milk he drinks).

Tiny2011, sorry that you are having a difficult time and its frustrating not to be able to pinpoint the problem. Sometimes have to tackle a few issues at a time to see if things improves. I think at 3.5 months its okay that bub is still drinking at night. They are so young. I know that's against what your consultant is saying. I am happy as long as my bub (5.5 months) sleeps a solid 5 hour block. He sleeps about 10-12 hours a night but would stir and cry about 1-2 hours after going to bed needing resettling (sometimes bit of top up helps) and a feed at 3-4am. Am not sure about your definition of sleeping through. I think 5 hours make me by happy. 12 hours is really hard to expect IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm sorry to hijack but your 'doctor' is giving you unsound medical advice.

Its normal for bubs to feed overnight till 12mths.

Its normal for bubs to feed multiple times a night till 12mths.

Your baby sounds like a normal baby to me.

The fact that your baby is dropping weight percentiles quickly indicates that they NEED more feeds. My girls fed 1-2hrly during the day. He is waking cos he is HUNGRY.

Please go see a real doctor.

Also its against SIDS advice to leave your bubba in another room for the first 6mths.

And CC is NOT recommended for under 6mths.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny2011 View Post
    I'm trying to find the answer to this too... DS started rolling at 7 weeks and the waking times at night are becoming a joke - but he is 15 weeks now, surely he has figured it out by now how to get unstuck from the rails?

We started the routine of Brian Symon (Adelaide sleep dr) from birth with DS2. He promised us that for how many weeks old they are, was how many hours their longest sleep would be, and by 12 weeks sleeping 12 hours. We saw him every 2 weeks to have him weighed and review the routine.

At 2 weeks we moved him into his own room, at 3 weeks we moved him into a cot. And at 4 weeks I remember the dr -fiving me because DS was doing 4-5 hours.

Then it got to a point where I put him on s-26 AR (DS1 was on this for 12 months) because it seemed like he wasn't keeping anything down. He was in the 50th percentile but his weight gain per day was decreasing. On occasions we would go into his room after (very short) periods of controlled crying and find him lying on his left side. DS1 was 5 months old when he started rolling so I assumed it was too early. This only happened a few times.

By 6 weeks he did 6 hours and I was really happy (though it wasn't every night). However, projectile vomitting was still an issue occasionally and the thickened formula was causing bad constipation that we couldn't fix. Things started going backwards.

At 7 weeks we were advised to ditch the AR as the dr didn't believe in reflux and was told he would grow out of it. By this point I decided to remove the arm holes of our swaddle as he had began rolling from back to tummy.

The constipation went away immediately after changing back to s-26 original. There was a good 4-5 days of him adjusting to having his arms out (lots crying) but that soon cleared.

However, he is now almost 3 and half months and he still doesn't sleep through. We put him down at 6, he will feed again at 7, we dream feed him at 10 because he is now in the 30th percentile (which I put down to him being way more active than babies who don't yet roll at that age). However, sometimes he wakes at 9 or 930 before we can even dream feed. He then wakes again about 4-5 hours later. And every 2 hours after that. The other night it was 3, last night 2am and tonight the crying started at midnight (didn't even do 3 hours). I'm over it - whilst he self settles to sleep well, he doesn't stay asleep for long. During the day I'm lucky for him to sleep an hr. which is a nightmare with a 23 month old!

It's either the rolling thing or taking him off the AR which has caused this. He has heaps of tummy time, I don't know what else to do!
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 06-04-2013 at 11:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Btw 5hrs sleeping is "sleeping thru" for newbies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I've decided to give his ideas the flick (he said to let him scream all night because he is waking for a social call not hungry but his weight would suggest otherwise).

DS1 was sleeping from 7-5 by this age and gaining weight well (75-90th %), so I guess my expectations were too high for DS2. With DS2 we feed him at 6, then top up 1-2 hours later, then dream feed at 10-11 and he still wakes up between 2-4. I guess my definition of sleeping through entails me getting 8 hours sleep!

I've since thickened his formula again, not because of reflux but because it seemed to fill him up more and have less wind. The first night he did 9-5am and last night 5 hours, fingers crossed tonight we are on a positive trend.

I guess there are several factors other than rolling affecting him.

Let's hope daylight savings doesn't stuff our kids routines up this week too much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I'm sorry to hijack but your 'doctor' is giving you unsound medical advice.

Its normal for bubs to feed overnight till 12mths.

Its normal for bubs to feed multiple times a night till 12mths.

Your baby sounds like a normal baby to me.

The fact that your baby is dropping weight percentiles quickly indicates that they NEED more feeds. My girls fed 1-2hrly during the day. He is waking cos he is HUNGRY.

Please go see a real doctor.

Also its against SIDS advice to leave your bubba in another room for the first 6mths.

And CC is NOT recommended for under 6mths.
    Yes plenty of conflicting advice out there in our medical system! He came highly recommended and worked wonders with DS1 but I guess every child is different and what method worked for one baby won't necessarily for another.

I have since given up on CC and am focusing on getting as much milk into him as possible, feeding him whenever he wakes up and hopefully he gets enough kj's to give him the energy for all this tummy time.

Zadora - so sorry for making your post all about me! How are you going with it? I hope for your sake this is just a patch you are going through because of the transitioning to a sleeping bag.