Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou so much, Vanity!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My pleasure. Hope it all works out well for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well not sure it will but will keep at it.
    I've approached a few salons about apprenticeships and all of them have said I have buckleys getting one. None of them are aware of the tool allowance and wage subsidies and financial incentives they are eligible for should they take on someone over 30.

So, for the large part, ignorance is holding me back.
    But I'll give it a red hot go and if it doesn't work out, I'll move onto something else that will.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear that, you said you're in a small town? That's probably part of the issue(ahem ignorance). Real loss four them though, hope something positive comes of it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update: I'm closing the door on this one. Have approached 20 or so potential employers and ALL have told me that they only hire younger people due to the present wage system.

So. That's all the time I am prepared to spend on this one.

I wonder what I'll research this week. Either way, it's NEXT!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That sucks, to put it bluntly. I don't have any experience in hair dressing so haven't posted previously but just want to wish you luck on whatever you decide to do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the kind wishes, Dancing. I look on it philosophically rather than personally. I have found that there is a lot of ignorance by employers in relation to employing adult apprentices and I just don't have the urge to fight that.

I'm going to continue researching vocations - I might look at engineering next - but will also check out some colleges that offer hair courses similar to what RedlipsandPearls mentioned earlier (on the first page of this thread).

Either way, I'm determined to train in SOMETHING so that I am able to return to the workforce at the beginning of next year if not earlier. I'm sick of welfare, sick of being broke and not being able to get ahead. If anything, these knock backs are only fueling a deeper desire to get somewhere other than here.

Again, I really appreciate all of the responses.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to happy wanderer For This Useful Post:

VanityFey  (08-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad too hear your turning it into something positive good on you. In sorry it had been such a journey, wish it had had a more positive outcome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think I qualify - I'm a timber hairdresser

I cut - trim - shape - style - wash - colour -dry and much more.
    Some times I copy something someone else wants, sometimes I go by there description and other times I make suggestions.

I did my trade as a Carpenter and Joiner, my apprenticeship was 3 1/2 yrs.
    I have employed others and worked with a variety of appretices.
    Mature age apprentices in my experience are generally more focused and better workers.
    The wages are a little higher but still low - the advantage - once qualified you can go out on your own whether you have your own business residence, work from home, on the road or have a mobile saloon.

With your existing experience it sounds like it would round out your skills nicely.

Weigh up all the other comments and see what you think.

For me as a SAHD I am now trying to set up a workshop where I can do stuff at home while the youngings are at kindy or having their naps etc.

wish you well

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (27-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    Same, Red but when I inquired about the full-time course while getting my hair done , I was told that I would harm my chances of employment as the full-time courses were not appreciated by "those who are serious about hair" in the hairdressing world.

I don't know how true that is as I've never been a hairdresser! But perhaps that is something I could add to this thread too.

What is the best option for those seeking a career in hairdressing - a fulltime course or an apprenticeship?

Thanks so much.
    Hi
    I'm a hairdresser of 12 years who has owned her own salon from home for the past 3 years.
    I wouldn't recommend the 1 year course. It's not because we are 'peeved' off that you can cut the time. It's bc there is absolutely no way you can learn all aspects of hairdressing a) from a training institute and b) in such a short amount of time! People don't give hairdressers the respect they deserve in regards to what we know regarding chemicals/procedures. It takes a lot of time to learn and can be a little trial and error... Ok so u learn all the basics in one year, you're now qualified and get a job as a fully qualified hairdresser. What happens when you have a color correction job? U can't ask another senior as you're qualified... I've seen this so many times in different salons where we have trialled those who are completing one year course. In regards to you're other questions, some owners prefer a mature age apprentice for their understanding of work responsibility and are able to get along with clients of all ages. I would personally take the position if u can afford to. The time will fly anyway. Hope this helps

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following User Says Thank You to olismumma For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (27-09-2013)