+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Opinions needed - Adult Hairdressing Apprenticeship

I'm living in an area with not much work and am presently going through a re-evaluation process with regards to studying, finding a life purpose etc.

Previously, I worked in the beauty industry and have taken it up again albeit on a private basis (eg. don't work in a salon).

[Also, thanks to some of the responses I received in here a little while ago about studying, I am also doing that too - just one subject - but I'm enjoying that.]

There's an apprenticeship in hairdressing being offered in a good salon where I am. It's a 3 year programme but with my age and RPL, I could do it in two. I am considering because it because it offers me the chance to combine my skills that I already have and it offers full-time and local employment and because it marries up perfectly with the quals I already have.

For those in hairdressing I have some questions:

- have you had mature aged apprentices where you work and have they succeeded;
    - if you are an employer, what has been your experience with older apprentices;
    - if you are or have been an older apprentice, what has your experience been;
    - any comments you want to add even if they appear negative...I'm a realist and I appreciate realistic outlooks.

I want to weigh up everything and don't know anyone in the hairdressing trade to ask which is why I'm asking here. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by happy wanderer; 01-04-2013 at 16:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing. I am planning on doing hairdressing when I'm ready to go back to work. I'm tossing up whether to do it as an apprenticeship or as a full time course.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (01-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm tossing up whether to do it as an apprenticeship or as a full time course.
    Same, Red but when I inquired about the full-time course while getting my hair done , I was told that I would harm my chances of employment as the full-time courses were not appreciated by "those who are serious about hair" in the hairdressing world.

I don't know how true that is as I've never been a hairdresser! But perhaps that is something I could add to this thread too.

What is the best option for those seeking a career in hairdressing - a fulltime course or an apprenticeship?

Thanks so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Lol really? Is it because they spent 4yrs training(for a standard apprenticeship) and are peeved that it can be done in 1?
    My aim is to get qualified and open my own business practically immediately, so I don't think that would really impact me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol really? Is it because they spent 4yrs training(for a standard apprenticeship) and are peeved that it can be done in 1?
    My aim is to get qualified and open my own business practically immediately, so I don't think that would really impact me.
    No, it's because they don't believe the trade cannot be learned in a year. (My understanding is that the standard apprenticeship is 3 years). To be honest, I think one year is dubious myself.

My aim is to get regular, full-time employment akin to quals I already have. If I was opening a business of my own I'd definitely want more experience working under a master/senior hairdresser. But, is an apprenticeship really necessary anymore? After all, they've done away with them in other industries....

Keen to hear responses from any hairdressers on BubHub if there are any.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hairdressing apprenticeships are 3 years now, have been for about 5 years when they were reduced. Most salons will not hire you if you have only completed a course, as it really is very different training compared to working in a salon - there are much different expectations.

Personally, my experience was not good. I started at 16, and found it to be an awful environment and left not long after qualifying. The two places I worked in as an apprentice very much took advantage of and bullied their apprentices - from not having lunch breaks on saturdays, having to work unpaid overtime, do training every rdo (unpaid, on top of tafe etc) and many many more issues. Obviously this is not the case with all salons, just my experience within the 3 salons I have worked in.

I suggest asking if a local salon will take you for work experience or a trial, so you can see how you like it before committing your money and time.

Please be aware my opinion may be jaded due to my bad experiences at a young age, although I do know quite a few hairdressers who have said looking back they dont think they would have chosen that career path. I still very much enjoy hair styling, and do it along with makeup as a business now.
    Last edited by penguinbaby; 01-04-2013 at 23:51.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbaby For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (01-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    *bumpy rumpy pumpy*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah, I keep forgetting that it's 3yrs now.
    Anyone that I know that completed a 12 month course worked in a salon while they were studying (which would be my plan) so they were still getting on the job experience.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (02-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    172 views and only one hairdresser has replied?
    Guess I'll have to go doorknocking then

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you can complete a full apprenticeship in Two years instead of the normal three, with RPL and what not, I think that's a fantastic option.

Personally I don't value the one year course very highly at all. The salon I work at has hired a few graduates from these courses and always had to do at *least* another six months(usually a year out longer) of high intensity training to get them to where they need to be (that said my salon had incredibly high standards).
    But after five years in the industry i'm still learning now, and I do believe you cannot learn everything you need to know (especially if your pedantic and have high expectations of yourself) in a year. There's just to much.

At my salon we've had a couple if older apprentices (22-30's). And they've been fantastic. They connect with clients better, have more life experience and well rounded personalities. So I don't think you'll have an issue there.

Personally while I know hair dressing has a high burn out rate and in regards to OHS and work situations(pay, hours, etc), I think it is what you make it. I love my job, can't imagine thing anything else. Also the fact you'd eventually like to have your own job, I think this definitely applies to
    you

Would love to know how it all turns out for you OP

14. The Following User Says Thank You to VanityFey For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (02-04-2013)