+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Building a house sucks! Haha
    3 years on and we are still finishing off the yards! Over it and ready to move now
    Next time I will wait until I find a house that someone else has already loved for me! Too many hidden costs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for your responses everyone.

Plan2beamummy - with some major changes we could probably add another bedroom to the back but then when i think about resale, I don't think there is enough living space for that many bedrooms (it would make our house a 4 bedroom house). I think I want to build because I want everything new and exactly as we've chosen.

Babyg4, one of the things that scares me is unexpected costs! An extra $30,000 is massive! I know of a couple of families who have recently bought brand new houses that are already built, I wonder if maybe we should look at doing that instead of building from scratch, the thought of needing to find that much extra money is really frightening! Though if we do decide to build, on your suggestion I'll get my parents to look over the contract as they've built twice in the past.

I'm dying to go look at display homes but hubby says no as he knows I'll bug him about it for the next year lol. But he doesn't have to know what I get up to while he's at work haha!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nudge88 View Post
    If I were you, I would be reporting this to the Building Services Authority.
    That is actually on my list of things to do today. Find an ombudsman or someone who takes care of these things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Thanks for your responses everyone.

Plan2beamummy - with some major changes we could probably add another bedroom to the back but then when i think about resale, I don't think there is enough living space for that many bedrooms (it would make our house a 4 bedroom house). I think I want to build because I want everything new and exactly as we've chosen.

Babyg4, one of the things that scares me is unexpected costs! An extra $30,000 is massive! I know of a couple of families who have recently bought brand new houses that are already built, I wonder if maybe we should look at doing that instead of building from scratch, the thought of needing to find that much extra money is really frightening! Though if we do decide to build, on your suggestion I'll get my parents to look over the contract as they've built twice in the past.

I'm dying to go look at display homes but hubby says no as he knows I'll bug him about it for the next year lol. But he doesn't have to know what I get up to while he's at work haha!
    If you haven't owned a house before then buying a brand new never lived in house then you are still entitled to first home owners grants. This is what my SIL is planning to do.
    If you do build then see how much you can borrow then find a house that is $20-$40k cheaper to allow for extras like colour selections etc.

It's so nice looking at display homes, so worth taking a peak even if it will annoy hubby hehe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are almost finished building. Slabbed in January and due to finish this week :-)

We found the land we wanted then looked for builders.
    Go around to display homes and look through their catalogue(or online but I find having then in front of you is heaps easier) . The house we loved wasn't at any of the displays we went to and had to drive to the other side of the city to see it.

Every builder has different 'standard inclusions' and pretty much everything you want is an extra.

The best place to ask any questions you have is Homeone forum, it's a building and Reno forum.

Building has been the best and worst experience. It's so exciting watching it all go up, but it's also stressful! We've been lucky that its been a fairly smooth process, but we are also with a large builder.

Good luck with your research!