+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toilet issues with a 3.5 year old girl

My 3.5 year old is causing huge issues with the toilet, especially no. 2's!!!!

She will 80% of the time do no. 1's on toilet without a problem, some days we will go through 7 pairs of undies & clothes and wee on the floor/carpet.

She will walk around and sit in the wet undies for hours and it does not worry her.

Most days at pre school (2 days per week) she is good, occasional accident.

No. 2's are a different story. She will not do them. Most times we will go a week before we pretty much need to "squeeze" it out of her!!!! We have heaps of "skiddies" in the undies and she will wear the unders for up to an hour with the poo there before we might notice, does not seem to worry her.

I have tried giving her "Coloxyl" (sometimes forget it give it to her), but it has not done anything.

I have tried reward charts, bribes & food treats, nothing will make her go, without being "squeezed".

I would prefer not to take her to the Dr and only want to do that as a last resort.

Does anybody have any ideas??? I do not want to go back to nappies as she is not allowed to be in nappies or nappy pants for pre school.

She is doing my head in and the patience level is at "zero"!!!!!

Any and all suggestions welcome!!!!

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I we had exactly the same problem, at about the same age. Dr Phill (and yes, I realise he's not the be-all and end-all) said that you need to find the correct 'currency' to make it worth it for her to go. We used chocolate, and she got a chocolate for every time she did a poo on the toilet. It took about 2 days, and she couldn't wait to do a poo to get her chocolate. Two months down the track, she sometimes remembers the chocolate but more often than not she forgets about it. Yes, it's probably not ideal, but it worked.

So what's your child's 'currency'? What would they do absolutely anything for? It needs to be quite immediate, not 'get five stamps and then a trip to the zoo' but something that could be given there and then. Sugar free jelly beans perhaps?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing with interest as Miss 3.5 has the same problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that.

I have tried the "you will get something if you do a poo". We have tried everything, chocolate, ice cream, pink lemonade, going to the park, she will wont do it. I even sat a 2 kg jar of jelly beans in front of her one day and said you can have them all, nothing.

I said yesterday, here is your whole Chocolate Bunny, if you do poo you can eat it. It sat on the floor in front of her and she still would not budge.

She is super stubborn!!!!!

I am thinking of trying the reward chart again and her reward for doing poo will be a barbie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We use behavior modification under supervision of our pediatrician go conjunction with medication. Ds isn't just constipated though he suffers chronic constipation.

Essentially what we did was put him on the toilet for 5 minute sittings AT LEAST after every meal. No talk of poo. No talk of wee. Just sitting. He would get a sticker on his chart for each sitting and another for if he pooed. And eventually he did!! A child who couldn't and wouldn't poo on the toilet since infancy goes willingly now.

If she is constipated - which it sounds like she is now - then you need to get on top of that before it turns out to cause more issues. Particularly since she has toileting refusal. Talk to your doctor or see the continence nurse in your area, this is a common problem for kids starting toilet training and they are all wealth of knowledge.

Coloxyl never worked for my son but he had bigger issues.