+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cot ideas please

I'm looking to start buying nursery furniture and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest cot brands/types that I should look out for? I like the Boori ones but can't justify the cost when we will need to buy 2 and aren't having more children to make use of them again. What do I need to look out for? I have read that one handed drop sides is important, is there anything else? Also, how do I choose a good mattress?? We will sleep our girls together at first but still buy 2 cots ready to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good question I need to know the same! Didn't want to spend much on one but had a look at some lower cost ones at baby kingdom last week and the quality was terrible. So confused .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    We have a Tasman Eco Cot for DS and have bought another for new bub. They have the drop side, convert to a toddler bed. I just bought the mattress that came with the cot package.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    multiple birth associations sometimes have classifieds so you might be able to buy some matching good quality cots through there. And then on sell them to another multiple family when you are done with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Second hand is the way to go! There are heaps on eBay, gumtree etc.

strawberry swing is offline not so patiently waiting for the 1st of july!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Ikea?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree, second hand cots, new mattresses. Otherwise keep your eye out for babies r us sale, their cots are 50% off in their big sales.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

PurpleButterfly4  (02-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh that's great to know
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    I agree, second hand cots, new mattresses. Otherwise keep your eye out for babies r us sale, their cots are 50% off in their big sales.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually preferred a cot without the drop sides... I was concerned I'd forget to put the sides up in the middle of the night, etc. we have the Seed Organic Leaf cot with fixed sides and I have had no issues with fixed sides

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you considered bassinet's to start with? My ds was in a bassinet for 3.5 months and my dd for 5.5 months. My friend who had twins last year had hers in bassinets for quite a while. That meant that the bassinet's could easily be moved around from room to room, allowing for the babies actual room to be used by my friends Mum who stayed on & off in the first couple of months for extra help.

I have a Boori cot and I love it. They are bigger than some other cots though so that might be a consideration for you. The advantage of a cot turning into a toddler bed is a great idea - especially for twins if you're wanting the kids together for a while as toddler bed's take up a lot less space than single beds. My ds was in the toddler bed version of our Boori cot til he turned 4, so 4 years of use is pretty good for a cot!

Adjustable bases of the cot, especially if you aren't going to use a bassinet are really helpful. The higher level on our Boori is quite high so it's a lot easier to get a little baby out of the cot. We have a 2nd hand cot at my parents (can't recall the brand sorry) and the higher level is only 10cm higher than the lower level, so it doesn't make much difference.

I suggest you go to a baby store and have a look at the various options. Then maybe consider 2nd hand if the cots you want are too expensive.