+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default DDs behaviour

Hi I am new here and looking for some advice.

My 2yo (almost 3yo) is a handful most of the time. She seems to have impulse control issues and quickly lashes out (yelling/hitting) when she's unhappy with the situation. She can be quite violent. We have never hit her & have only yelled if she was in danger (running onto the road)

She has a HUGE vocabulary & is very smart for her age, she however prefers to whinge or get physical when upset.

We use time out to discipline her, & make her apologise which she does & she seems sorry but she's quick to act out again.

She's hyperactive too & she does as she's told but only if I get down on her level & make eye contact when talking (she struggles to maintain eye contact & gets distracted easily)

Her pre-school is mildly concerned & have called KU to do an evaluation?

I just don't know where to go from here. Seems like every kid has 'something' these days.

Does she sound like your 2/3yo? She's very different to the ones I've met.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My first recommendation would be to look at her diet. Write down everything she eats in a few days, then sit down and work out what preservatives, colours, additives, sugars, natural sugars are in that food. So many people say their kids eat well, but when you break it down, they are getting loaded with additives their bodies can't handle. She should also be eating lots of protein for energy. Look up additive alert and it gives symptoms to look out for.

My second bit of advice would be sleep, 3yr olds still need a lot of sleep, which is tricky as they are so good at pretending they aren't tired, instead get naughty because they can't handle being tired.

Also, exercise and boredom. I find my 3yr old is very naughty when she is bored. Since I changed her diet over a year ago, she never has tantrums or lashes out, but she will be naughty if she is tired or bored.

Get her to help you and treat her like a big girl (chores are good), they love the responsibility.

That is my experience, hopefully something there can help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks mummaOJ I was looking at the elimination diet but I like your diet idea better & it's something we can start today.

She still has a 2hr nap in the day & sleeps 8pm- 6/7/8am in the morning.

She does get worse when tired/bored she struggles with free play all together. I do give her direction & let her help me (I can't give many independent instructions because she forgets/gets distracted)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is a handful. Doesn't listen, whinges, never stops. I find her different to other kids her age but I put it down to her strong willed personality rather than a 'behavioural' problem. They like to label kids as having something wrong if they're not like all the others. I'd take it with a grain of salt honestly. She sounds like she's just strong willed and determined. Have you heard much about 'spirited children'? My DD is spirited. I describe her as just being 'more'.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gracie's Mum For This Useful Post:

Mummy Potato  (31-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Gracie's mum I've always thought of her as 'normal with a big personality'.

Today I've been talking/instructing her like she is Autistic (I teach swimming to Autistic kids) & she's responded really well. I know that doesn't mean much but I am so happy it's working & no tantrums.