+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to extend night sleep - 10 month old

Hoping for some advice! At the moment my 9.5 month old goes to bed around 7pm and then wakes up around 5am. I usually resort to either feeding him or giving him dummy (he only has it for daytime naps). If i leave him he'll cry for ages and by that time it'll be 6am and i would feed him anyway so thats why i might as well feed at 5am. im not sure if i've created a habit there. After i feed or/and dummy him he'll sleep till 7am. He has a total of around 3hrs during the day - 2 naps of 1.5hrs.
    He's starting daycare next week which means we'll have to get him up at 6.30am every day and he wont nap as long in the daycare so i really have to get him sleeping 7pm-6am otherwise he won't get enough sleep and if he wakes up as he does now he'll pretty much miss out on the last 'bit' of his night sleep and i wont get enough sleep either!
    Sorry for long winded post but is there any way to stop this 5am wake and get him to sleep till 6-6.30am? Im worried with shorter night sleep and shorter naps during the day he'll be missing out on about 3hrs sleep a day in total

Thanks
    Reviews
    What time r his naps? Try pushing the morning nap later to after lunch if you can then cutting out the arvo nap by putting to bed a little earlier ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    His naps are usually 9am and 1.30pm. So if i push his first nap to 10am then by 2.30-3 he'll want to nap again...
    Also if he goes to bed earlier though does it mean he might wale up earlier too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Missbehaving View Post
    His naps are usually 9am and 1.30pm. So if i push his first nap to 10am then by 2.30-3 he'll want to nap again...
    Also if he goes to bed earlier though does it mean he might wale up earlier too?
    Yeh you would expect putting him to bed earlier would make him wake earlier but maybe not. It could encourage more sleep but I guess you never know. If he sleeps in later than he won't need the 9 am sleep. It's hard to say as they are all so different. My experience shows me that as they get a little older say 12 months they should be more active and sleep longer at night. Not need the morning sleep just one midday sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Unfortunately it might not be possible. Ive been trying to get DS1 to sleep past 5 am for almost 5 years now