+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry again Dreamscapezd if I made you feel judged. Its just I have been keeping small animals since I was 7 and it frustrates me when people assume that they are low maintainence since most really arent. I know you werent assuming but since you were getting mostly small animals as suggestions I just wanted to put out the other point of view. It is fantastic that you are looking into it first. So many people dont and the animals die or live horribly because of it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (01-04-2013)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The best most low maintenance pet I've ever had is a pet snake :-) feed once a week, clean every 3-4 months, top up the water when you see it needs doing :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not necessarily the best handling pet for a 21 mnth old though. I have to clean mine at least once a month, still not a lot though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a pet I wouldn't recommend is a guinea pig. My two are more high maintenance than my two indoor cats.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heids89 For This Useful Post:

mama and her little bearxxx  (01-04-2013),ozeymumof5  (01-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know you said maybe not cats, but they are probably most likely to fit your situation. I am not a fan of outside cats, although we have adopted a cat from a deceased estate that lives in our yard, I would never purposely keep one as an outdoor pet.

We recently got two Siamese/Orientals (same breed different colouring). Affectionate and friendly, low maintenance as far as training and grooming go (short haired are the best!), all they really want from you is some food, a few toys and some cuddles. Oh, and to sleep in the warmest part of your bed!

We previously had an Oriental, he was the most wonderful cat imaginable, which is why we sought the same breed again. They are happy to fly solo and they are love to just be a part of the family, no special treatment required!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I second the cat suggestion, though its a matter of finding a cat with the right personality. One of my boys is really independent, he could be inside all day if he wanted to but spends most of his time in the yard or on the porch. In summer he sleeps outside too (by choice) but it gets below 0 here in winter so he sleeps inside then. He's not 'aggressive' from lack of interaction, he lets us know when he wants pats or cuddles

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loumia View Post
    Hermit crabs are great pets for kids low maintenance & really interesting & you can get all kinds of different shells for them. DSD has 2 hermit crabs with rainbow shells & she loves them.
    Ooh I like this idea! Ds is obsessed with shells at the moment!
    Do the crabs crawl into different shells?
    Can you hold them, have them crawl on your hand?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    Also rabbits have a lifespan from 8-12 years, they're a big commitment.
    Unless your family is like mine and "bugsy" ends up the main course.

Sorry, could help myself :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    Ooh I like this idea! Ds is obsessed with shells at the moment!
    Do the crabs crawl into different shells?
    Can you hold them, have them crawl on your hand?
    Yes they do change shells, you can design your own shell or buy pretty ones too lol. And you can hold them, the more sociable ones will come out and crawl on your hand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally agree guinea pigs are a lot of work and kids loose interest in them quickly. I probably spoil mine a bit too much as they have 2 cages...one is outdoor and this is their main home (it's and enclosed hutch, I won't have them on the lawn as they make such a mess plus I poison the grass when needed), the other cage is a huge fish tank that's inside for when it's really hot (heat kills g/p's, I've lost one to the heat) the tank has a fan and inside is also air con. They also come inside when it's too cold or really windy. I go through heaps of vegies, chaff, grassy hay, sawdust...their cage needs to be cleaned weekly and the piggies also need to be bathed, nails trimmed, lice/mite sprayed...a lot of work! Our dog and 2 indoor only cats are way less work! Fish are another lot that I find are hard work...we spent $$$$ on a quality tank and filter and all the other bits and pieces...cleaning the tank is a nightmare and getting the Ph right etc...arghhhhh we killed soo many fish the poor things So now the guinea pigs live in the tank lol