+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    On the subject of exotic pets. You need a license for any reptiles of amphibians you keep and it is illegal to pull them out of the wild. If you are going to go with something like that though, bearded dragons make excellent pets as most reptiles dont actually enjoy human company they just learn to tolerate it but beardies will actually enjoy the time spent.

No matter what bird you get, they are going to require maintainence. A seed only diet is no good for birds so you need to provide them with a variety from your kitchen as well. They also need to spend time with you daily in order to stay the tame and cuddly pet you want. They are flock animals and your family becomes thier flock.

Ferrets are about on par with a cat only if not handled properly they can nip so probably not ideal for a young child. Axolotls are not something that can be held and carried for long periods and they need cool water so if you are somewhere warm you may have trouble with this.

Basically, every animal is going to require some maintainence and if you dont love the type of animal it is then you are going to get bored quickly because your child will not be able to meet all its needs so that will be on you. Even some fish can become tame pets if enough time is spent on them. Basically, the more time and effort you put into it, the better a pet it will be.

Mum made my cat be an outdoor cat despite all my protesting and he never wanted to be cuddled or anything. Also, they are legally supposed to be locked inside at night where I live. Im not sure about the rules where you are but either way dont make a cat be purely outdoors. Ohh and one of my cats died of kidney failure due to people feeding her. She was on a very strict diet (which obviously they couldnt know about) to help her kidneys and because other people in the neighbourhood broke this diet daily her kidneys gave out.

Im going to apologise in advance if this post comes across as ranty or negative. Not my intention its just that most pets that are deemed "low maintainence" are only deeemed so because they can survive with little attention, that doesnt necessarily follow that the lack of attention is fulfilling all thier needs and making their life a good one. Fighting fish can survive in tiny tanks with no filtration or heating but it doesnt mean they like it. I put my boy in my 2ft fish tank and he came alive! He played, I trained him and he lived for like 4 yrs.

Whatever you decide on, research it extensively and make sure you can provide it quality of life not just an existence.

Sorry, am getting ranty again.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (31-03-2013),DarcyJ  (02-04-2013),jez  (31-03-2013),LifeInShadesOfGrey  (31-03-2013),peanutmonkey  (31-03-2013),Sonja  (31-03-2013),Stiflers Mom  (01-04-2013),VanityFey  (31-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildy View Post
    On the subject of exotic pets. You need a license for any reptiles of amphibians you keep and it is illegal to pull them out of the wild. If you are going to go with something like that though, bearded dragons make excellent pets as most reptiles dont actually enjoy human company they just learn to tolerate it but beardies will actually enjoy the time spent.

No matter what bird you get, they are going to require maintainence. A seed only diet is no good for birds so you need to provide them with a variety from your kitchen as well. They also need to spend time with you daily in order to stay the tame and cuddly pet you want. They are flock animals and your family becomes thier flock.

Ferrets are about on par with a cat only if not handled properly they can nip so probably not ideal for a young child. Axolotls are not something that can be held and carried for long periods and they need cool water so if you are somewhere warm you may have trouble with this.

Basically, every animal is going to require some maintainence and if you dont love the type of animal it is then you are going to get bored quickly because your child will not be able to meet all its needs so that will be on you. Even some fish can become tame pets if enough time is spent on them. Basically, the more time and effort you put into it, the better a pet it will be.

Mum made my cat be an outdoor cat despite all my protesting and he never wanted to be cuddled or anything. Also, they are legally supposed to be locked inside at night where I live. Im not sure about the rules where you are but either way dont make a cat be purely outdoors. Ohh and one of my cats died of kidney failure due to people feeding her. She was on a very strict diet (which obviously they couldnt know about) to help her kidneys and because other people in the neighbourhood broke this diet daily her kidneys gave out.

Im going to apologise in advance if this post comes across as ranty or negative. Not my intention its just that most pets that are deemed "low maintainence" are only deeemed so because they can survive with little attention, that doesnt necessarily follow that the lack of attention is fulfilling all thier needs and making their life a good one. Fighting fish can survive in tiny tanks with no filtration or heating but it doesnt mean they like it. I put my boy in my 2ft fish tank and he came alive! He played, I trained him and he lived for like 4 yrs.

Whatever you decide on, research it extensively and make sure you can provide it quality of life not just an existence.

Sorry, am getting ranty again.
    I agree. As someone who has always had pets (dogs and cats) I don't really like the idea of owning a pet then basically ignoring it. For us pets are part of the family.

Sorry OP but do you really want a pet?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

jez  (31-03-2013),penguinbaby  (31-03-2013),Rarity  (31-03-2013)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I really dont mean for this to come across wrong OP, but it seems like your guidelines are...
    - outdoors
    - rare interaction
    - minimum responsibility that will possibly lessen if you get a BFP
    - minimum cleaning (said you get grossed out easily)

Im sticking with the suggestion to get a fur-real pet for your child to cuddle, pat and brush. At least then when the novelty is gone its no big deal.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

callmedragon22  (31-03-2013),DarcyJ  (02-04-2013),Jellyfishie  (31-03-2013),jez  (31-03-2013),rainbow road  (31-03-2013),Rarity  (31-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A guinea pig is a very good pet. I had them as a kid well into adulthood and my mum (who originally didnt like them and was against me getting one) still has 1- and has had one or two since I left home 8 yrs ago. All they need is a big cage ( if u have lawn u can get a cage with an indoor and outdoor section u pop on grass & they can eat through cage. Then it's cheap guinea pig feed and just some fruit or veg in small amounts. Clean everyday but very easy if u lay paper down

We have a Mexican walking fish now. It is great. Ds (13 mnths) stands and watches tank constantly. They are really interesting & super easy fish to keep! And u only need one as they are pretty antisocial so very very cheap & easy & a great pet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whatever you do, don't get a male and female guinea pig! We were looking after them for a friend once while they were overseas and the female got pregnant, gave birth to 3 babies. Flattened one, one was born with its brain outside its head and the other lived, but then the female killed the father!!!!

Bunnies are much better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildy View Post
    Ferrets are about on par with a cat only if not handled properly they can nip so probably not ideal for a young child. Axolotls are not something that can be held and carried for long periods and they need cool water so if you
    We have ferrets and have no issues with them being nippy. Generally they are only so as babies and with regular handling they grow out of it.
    Buying an older ferret from a rescue group generally takes care of this issue. They will only match you with one suitable to your family type.
    My DS has taken one of ours to daycare, all the kids handled her and no nipping went on.
    I think they make great pets. They are able to be caged during the day when you are out and so long as you let them out for a run/play of an afternoon night they are generally very content.

The daycare we used had axolotls. I thought it was great pet for children. They can view through the tank, partake in feeding worms found in the compost and don't really have to do much more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Out of all the pets I've ever had (dogs, horses, mice, rats, guinea pigs, birds, cats and fish) I'd have to say our little dog is the easiest and cheapest and best come money, time and care...but we have to watch him with the little kids as he doesn't like them to pick him up but he happily sits in their lap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ozeymumof5 View Post
    Out of all the pets I've ever had (dogs, horses, mice, rats, guinea pigs, birds, cats and fish) I'd have to say our little dog is the easiest and cheapest and best come money, time and care...but we have to watch him with the little kids as he doesn't like them to pick him up but he happily sits in their lap.
    What breed, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    He's a mini foxy cross chihuahua

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

Rarity  (31-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about an outdoor pond with some fish in it as a starting point, once it's all set up they should need little to no maintenance and your son can have the responsibility of feeding them. I know they're not that exciting but would work in well with your requirements.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast