+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Tried to reply overnight but the app seems to have issues..
    OP just wondering where you saw that rabbits need 4 hours a day? I love our rabbit (have had a few!) but he gets maybe 4 - 6 hours attention a week, not each day! And half of it is while his cage is being cleaned..
    There are a few negatives (including that the gov. won't release a vaccine for myxi, and it's horrendous to see if your bunny is unlucky enough to catch it), but definitely low maintenance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree, rabbits make great pets. We recently got our first. She's beautiful, very similar to a cat really. She loves a cuddle, is litter trained. Gets cranky when she gets locked up at night lol scratches the cage door in the morning to be let out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd love to get a rabbit but we live in qld. I think they'd make a great pet!

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DP said get a snake.

I'm not sure how keen I would be on that!

Sent from my Unicorn.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Don't get a bunny if you want to leave it outside.

They're really social animals and living in a hutch with little interaction is an awful life for them. We have an indoor bunny and she's intelligent and fun and fantastic with kids, but rabbits that aren't handled everyday for a long while (at their discretion) aren't so great with kids, if they don't want to be held they can be quite scratchy and nippy.

Our rabbit comes to us for cuddles when she wants them. She lives indoors and is litter trained and very spoiled but it makes me sad thinking of the pet rabbits I had as a kid that lived outside and got picked up only once a day.

Also their urine smells really bad, and they need their hutch cleaned daily, maybe less if they use a litter box.

Our rabbit IS low maintenance, but she's an indoor girl and we wouldn't have it any other way.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We had an indoor rabbit who was great. Id open his hutch every morning and he'd run out and explore the house. He'd go back into his hutch to use the litter tray and drink and eat.
    I trained him so that when I wanted/needed to put him away, Id tap on his silver food bowl with my nails and he would come RUNNING/HOPPING as fast as he could back into his hutch and Id put his bowl of veggies down. It became a good way of getting him back into his hutch without making it a punishment for him.

The hutch doesnt need to be 'scrubbed' everyday, but Id reccomend using a small litter tray in the hutch and changing it daily. I used a small (old) tupperware container and just tossed the litter out, rinsed the tray and refilled it. Changed the newspaper lining every couple of days depending on how messy he made it by playing with it.

Aww now I want another rabbit

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamscapezd View Post
    Thanks guys. Ideally I would lobe to get a cat. Especially since ds is so in love with them. All cats are "puss in boots '. However I am trying to get pregnant and I would like to build towards the responsibility. It cant be an indoor pet as hubby has strict rules about that.
    Oh sorry just saw this. If it cant be an indoor pet then you are pretty limited. If its going to be outside and only cuddled occasionally Id say get a guinea pig..or two so at least they have each other for company. They can be skittish though and not keen on being picked up if you just leave them be for too long....like any pet I suppose.

Maybe a fur-real pet is for you OR A GOAT! Id love a little goat but we have no grass.
    Last edited by London; 31-03-2013 at 09:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What about a lamb? I had one for a few years growing up. He was great. Stubborn though. We used to tie him up out the front to eat the grass, he liked it that much he would refuse to come back inside and would lay down on poor mum lol.

We had him given to us from a friend, but mum and dad made sure we had somewhere for him to go once he was too big/old for our yard...that didn't involve the dinner plate....so they say... We took him to another friends farm. They used to tell me which one he was, and even now repeat the stories!....which now makes me sure they probably fed him to me the following week lol all sheep look the same

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think there is a pet that fits your description, really.
    At the moment I'm in the same boat, I'd love a pet, but I/we don't have the time to invest in one, so we aren't getting one until we do have the time. It's just cruel otherwise. They aren't a toy that you can just put away when you are bored of it.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rarity For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (02-04-2013),haveheart  (31-03-2013),penguinbaby  (31-03-2013),Stiflers Mom  (01-04-2013)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Also rabbits have a lifespan from 8-12 years, they're a big commitment.