+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    An axolotl?
    Ferret?
    Rat, bird or other small caged animal?

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    How do you feel about a cat? They can be low maintenance if you want them to be. My cats are the easiest pets Ive had and are soft and cuddly Can adopt a kitten cheap enough which will be desexed and vaccinated and then you just need food, litter tray and small scratcher to start. Can get cheap scratchers/toys at cheap shops (Red Dot if you are in WA).

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdro View Post
    If any of your neighbours have a cat, start feeding it so that it visits more often. Very low maintenance - all the joys of a pet without any of the responsibility!

But seriously, if you get the right breed of short-hair cat and keep it outdoors, they are pretty low maintenance. No litter tray, no baths, just let it live outside and come in sometimes when it wants to. Then the work is mainly just feeding and the occasional flea treatment. Just make sure the breed is reasonably placid and kid friendly. Of course, I would hold off if you are thinking of being pregnant again soon.
    I agree that a cat can be a great and low maintenance pet, but suggest not having an outdoor cat. They kill wildlife, they bury their poop which is not ideal and they can't be fenced so they often end up on the road. If you get a cat, consider getting a cat run so he/she can enjoy life inside and out.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

mama and her little bearxxx  (31-03-2013),peanutmonkey  (31-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would have agreed on the cat until about six months ago. Our cat has a feline hyperesthia illness which is a seizure type timing that makes his back and tail ripple and then he attacks his tail and leaves blood everywhere.this happens several times a day. We have had many vet visits and our cat is currently trialling expensive medicine to see if it will help and lives in a cone collar at the moment. So whilst thy can be low maintenance there is also the possibility that they might not be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    I would have agreed on the cat until about six months ago. Our cat has a feline hyperesthia illness which is a seizure type timing that makes his back and tail ripple and then he attacks his tail and leaves blood everywhere.this happens several times a day. We have had many vet visits and our cat is currently trialling expensive medicine to see if it will help and lives in a cone collar at the moment. So whilst thy can be low maintenance there is also the possibility that they might not be.
    An outdoor cat is more prone to injury as well. Years ago my cat was kicked by a neighbour. He shattered the bone in her leg which shredded the muscle... Cost $3,000 to have her leg fixed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with those who have said cat, kittens can be high maintenance but maybe look at shelters for an adult cat. My cat is very low maintenance, he is no keen on too much affection and is happy to be fed, a quick cuddle, quick play and scoop is litter tray daily.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeddie View Post
    I agree with those who have said cat, kittens can be high maintenance but maybe look at shelters for an adult cat. My cat is very low maintenance, he is no keen on too much affection and is happy to be fed, a quick cuddle, quick play and scoop is litter tray daily.
    I agree that adult cats can actually be quite low maintenance and have found my two girls much easier to look after than my mice when i used to have then. I think its because cats become much more apart of your life. Obviously they can be expensive, especially in old age or if they have an accident. I have pet insurance that covers my cats up to about 10k but they're really like my daughters more than pets .

Tbh...i had mice, rats and budgies at various times when i was a teenager and found cats much easier to look after than any of the smaller pets i had had. I got my first cat at 17 btw. They are much more expensive than any of the other pets i've had though.

Edit: my cats are indoor cats. If you don't have a problem with cleaning up the fur they drop around everywhere (depending on breed) then i would suggest indoor cats are better than outdoor. Less pests, less likely to get injured or into fights with other cats (so less expensive) and they won't get dirty or bring dirt into the house (and won't bring home dead birds/mice).
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 31-03-2013 at 02:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely pet insurance if you get a cat. (Or any animal really) One of mine is prone to bladder blockages (he's 3) and has cost in excess of $4000 in the last 8 months. I don't know that any pet is truly low maintenance - especially when something goes wrong.

The hermit crabs sound cool.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Cdro;7164071]If any of your neighbours have a cat, start feeding it so that it visits more often. Very low maintenance - all the joys of a pet without any of the responsibility!
    /QUOTE]

Do not start feeding someone else's cat. This is something that really irks me. Feeding someone else's cat is just a no no. From the owners side, For example, I had a cat once who someone else started feeding, they stole it. I've had a pet poisoned which almost killed it and cost me $2000 because someone else fed it what they thought was okay food. Plus when someone feeds your cat, you miss out on cuddles with your cat as often, your cat starts to eat less at your home on occasion, it can throw your cats home routine out the window.

My cat now fights to get let outside just so he can nick off to who is feeding him. I want to get a tag made up to say "if I'm not yours don't feed me".

But also from the feeders side, how do you know that the cat you feed isn't riddled with worms or something catchable. You wouldn't know if their owners kept up to date with everything.

Depending on where you live it is against council to have your cat outside at night and in some suburbs even the day.

I 100% agree with getting a cat. Wonderful pet to own and you can make an outdoor cat enclosure too. But honestly they are a low maintenance pet, good to cuddle and good company.

Sent from my Unicorn.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

mama and her little bearxxx  (31-03-2013),Tildy  (31-03-2013),VanityFey  (31-03-2013)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with those who have said get a cat not a kitten too.

Both my boys where adopted as cats. One was 4 (who's 13 now) and the other was 6 and he's almost 7 now.

Sent from my Unicorn.