+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Beware of charity door knockers - check their ID!

Just a warning for people - we had an elderly lady knock on our door today asking for charity donations for children's cancer. I asked to see her ID and she let me have a quick glance, so I asked to have a better look at it. The ID did not have children's cancer but had some children's spinal foundation and was expired in 2010. When I questioned this lady she commented that she just hadn't updated the ID and changed her story so that she is collecting for both childrens' cancer and spinal foundation.

Please check the ID of charity workers before handing any donations. It ends up being the real charities that miss out.

This lady was taking advantage of the fact she is elderly and it is Easter so that people may be more generous with donations. Unfortunately I did not take notice of her name....really horrible that there are people who actually will take advantage of peoples' generosity like this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's sickening that people would do that. Thanks for letting us know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do they have photo ID these days or is it just a letter or something from the charity? I get more charities cold calling me rather than turning up at the door but still get the odd one now and again so would be good to know what to look for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Wow that's low What happened when you outed her?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't say anything to her to call her out. DP came to the door and told her we had donated to a Kids with cancer charity just the other day....he didn't realise she was dodge, but was just letting her know he had already donated money to a charity similar to hers.
    She then just said that was fine and hurried off.

I think l was a little bit taken back that she seemed like a nice old lady..
    .but she wasn't....
    Last edited by Night Owl; 30-03-2013 at 22:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That's terrible
    Did you contact the police?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    That's terrible
    Did you contact the police?
    No I didn't call the police. In hindsight I realised I should have, but I hadn't taken notice of the name on the ID or anything so wasn't sure how much useful information I could have given them.