+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Mastitis? What do I do?

I think im getting mastitis. My breast started feeling tender on the underside so i though it was a blocked duct. I fed DS towards the lump a few times. Its getting sorer though and i can still feel the lump. Ive been expressing it as much as possible. I spent an hour in a hot shower last night trying to massage it out. This morning there is redness around my nipple and under my arm is sore. There are no red streaks on my actual breast though. It does feel hot to touch. I also have a cold at the moment (got it before the breast pain so probably not related).

So what do I do? Do i just keep doing what im doing and hope it goes away? There are no Drs open today so if i have to see one i have to go to the ED. Should i leave it and see how it goes, or is it one of those things where you see a dr asap? Ive had blocked ducts before and this is similar, but they have always been easy to shift.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I had mastitis it was accompanied by flu like symptoms. I also had a severe headache. I think I trip to the ED would be a good idea so they can prescribe you antibiotics.

Thanks
    Reviews
    See a dr or call the ABA. if it is mastitis you need antibiotics ASAP as it can make you very ill. Hope you feel better soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have a really bad headache (thought it was associated with the cold). Im also nauseous. Ok ED it is Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It will probably get worse as mine always started as red streaks and painful lumps, then felt like the worst flu I've ever had, I could barely get off the couch! I'd go to the docs and get some antibiotics, they start working really quickly and I felt almost back to normal the next day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely go to the dr. Try and go today as mostly everything will be shut on Easter Sunday tomorrow. And your only option would be ED (where we live anyway).

Mastitis can make you really sick really fast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive found the blockage, its right on my nipple. How do i get it out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    Ive found the blockage, its right on my nipple. How do i get it out?
    I found that putting heat on the lump before feeding (either a heat pack or a hot shower) helped clear it. Try to feed baby on that side as much as possible. And try to massage it out while hand expressing in the shower under hot water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't feed baby, he is 22mths and i cant force him, he is stubborn. I'm at the ed as there are more red spots and they are starting to swell up

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Last edited by IndigoJ; 30-03-2013 at 23:02.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How did you get on at the hospital Indigo? Hope they have you sorted soon.