+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Transitioning from exclusive pumping to breastfeeding - how do you do it?

My DD born at 34 weeks who is now 2 months old (corrected to 3 weeks) has finally decided to latch on and breastfeed after exclusive pumping and bottle feeding EBM for the past 2 months.
    My question is, how so you wean yourself off the pump? I rang the ABA and they said to just stop if she is getting enough milk from me and if I feel engorged then to just pump to comfort levels. Has anyone else had experience with transitioning off the pump?
    I know that I am making way more than she needs, she used to take about 70-80mls from the bottle every 3 hours and I was able to pump about 130mls every 3 hours but now I am so engorged and pumping for comfort. I was wondering how long does it take for my milk to regulate to what she needs given that it has probably regulated to the pumping schedule I was on.
    The ABA also mentioned not to pump full feeds because then I would end up with an oversupply issue which can create a sore tummy for DD.

I am also worried about just ceasing pumping in case she is not actually getting enough milk from me when breastfeeding. She is still trying to fine tune her latching technique (she is only 3.3kg and has a teeny tiny mouth). Her nappies are only wet with one wee each change too..

I was just hoping for some feedback on what others have done to transition.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a 34 weeker and transitioned from pumping to breast feeding earlier (10 days), he was 2.3kg at the time. I suffered engorgement and oversupply, I hand expressed for comfort. DS2 fed 2 hourly (at best) for months but I just stopped bf him at 14 months. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have this - pumped due to latching issues until about 7 or 8 weeks. I found that when I stopped pumping due to being able to produce so much more than she needed she had trouble getting to the hind milk and it took a couple of weeks to get back into balance. I just hand expressed a bit at the beginning of a feed so she didn't fill up on foremilk and then after about 10 days or so it totally settled down and my supply/demand where in balance. If you pump before a feed its a vicious cycle because your supply keeps up so better that you ease off and feel a little discomfort whilst it all adjusts. Once it all got into synch BF was a breeze and we are still going strong (almost 1yo).

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, I will try hand expressing, I had to use the pumps today because I was so engorged and it felt like I was never going to get them to go down. I know it has the potential to become a vicious cycle so I will make sure I only hand express from now on. I have also realised that DD has a shallow latch..just to add further troubles!! It is so painful to feed her now and I have been trying so hard to get her latch on deeply. Will persist and see how I go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Keep it up! My daughter had a horrific latch after not being to latch at all initially. She started feeding on the very tip of the nipple for a couple weeks which was ouchies!! All of a sudden she just got it and off she went - she could find the nipple and latch perfectly first time in any position. I'm sure this will happen to you too in the meantime well done for expressing - it is bl00dy hard work!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a similar issue with my 25 weeker twins with transitioning off the pump after 3 months expressing while they were in nicu, to fully breastfeeding. I had oversupply was making SOOO much milk, way too much for just my babies, and it was a very slow process (probably took 2 months once they were home) for me to stop pumping altogether once they were fully BF. I did pump before a BF (as they struggled to latch when I was rock hard, and for comfort) for most feeds to begin with, then slowly was able to decrease the frequency and volume as time went on. Every time they dropped a feed as time went on I had the same problem with needing to express a little. I also worried about then going the other direction and not having enough milk, but this wasn't the case for
    I found the whole express/breastfeed thing tiring and I wanted nothing more than to stop pumping and just breastfeed, but eventually it got sorted out, my supply evened out, and my boys ended up self weaning at 32 months.
    Good luck!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sezzle For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you considered seeing a lactation consultant?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice ladies, I am feeding her during the day and only pumping at night the amount that I would need for a feed, I am still bottle feeding Ebm at night because she refuses to latch at night. Still expressing for comfort but still very engorged. I wish I knew how much milk she was taking from the breast, after pumping for so long I have kind of been spoilt knowing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds was terrible at night too, I pumped for first 8wk at night, despite no true medical issues, other than me being low on milk. He is 21 mths now and still BF