+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Story of my life having people pronounce my name wrong!! My name is Kirsten (said 'keersten' like 'beer' or 'ear') but everyone always says 'Kursten.' Even if I introduce myself and say my name, people will still repeat back 'oh hi KURsten!' Or 'Kristen.' So annoying! I also get that from Australians that my name is actually KURsten but because I'm American, we are the ones that say the 'Keer.' False! Americans say 'Kur' as well, it's because my dad is from Denmark and the 'keersten' pronunciation is very popular and common in Scandinavia. I won't even go into my maiden name or middle name (more hard Danish ones!). My married surname is super easy. It actually took me a while to come to terms with changing it because I felt it'd be weird having a name I didn't have to spell or explain! I used to hate my names growing up, having to spell them, etc. but now I think they're quite pretty.
    There is something about that name Ivan never get right .. If its Kirsten my brain has a brainfart and wants it to be Kristen. I look like a dumbass when I'm trying to work my brain to say he right one then I get confused as to which one it actually is.. Lol

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Twoalready For This Useful Post:

ozeymumof5  (31-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My first name (Merindah) is mispronounced all the time. Paired with my maiden name it was just a giant eye roll. I now introduce myself with a much shorter nickname.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Is it "mer-in-dah"?

Or" merin-dah"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    Is it "mer-in-dah"?

Or" merin-dah"
    Murr - rin - duh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a name that is usually spelt with a Ch but my parents spelt it with a K. My nickname, which is the name I go by starts with a different letter. Dramas all over the place.

My maiden name was quite common and I rarely had to spell it. I married a Frenchman so now I spell everything. It's worse for him though, he has a French first name as well :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha. Thanks ladies.

My poor mother's name is ILME (popped it in caps so you don't think the i is a lowercase l). It's pronounced ill-meh traditionally, but she just says ill-mah. Unfortunately when people read her name they call her lime. Over the phone it's usually wilma. Gotta love having those European names!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My name is Tamara.
    Simple I thought, but no, I get Mara, Mary, Moira, meara, Tanya, Tara, Lara, Sara, Samara... The list goes on.
    I also lived in America for over 6mths and it was almost impossible for them to pronounce Ta-Ma-Ra..
    Depending on the state I was in, it was Ta-mare-rah or Tam-a-rah.

At work I speak to 50+ people over the phone a day and am lucky if 5 get my name right.

I am also constantly asked if I'm Russian/Arabic and have even had people speak to me in both languages after hearing my name. I'm 5th generation Australian. Hahaha

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel your pain. Ive had people laugh in my face, tell me they know a cat named after me or can I wiggle my nose I gave all 3 of my kidlets common names with common spellings so they dont have to spend their entire lives spelling their names to people or.correcting their.pronunciation

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yeah I do a lot. My name is Cassie and I always get called Cathy or Casey a lot. It's very annoying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoalready View Post
    Haha I'd really love to know what it is!!! I'm so nosey!!
    me too!!