+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a first name as my last name and is such a pain to book an appointment.
    Operator: what's your last name?
    Me: Beth (for example)
    Opertor: what's your LAST NAME ( very annoyed tone like I'm stupid)
    Me: oh sorry my mistake... Beth.

Soooooo annoying!!! When someone doesn't ask me twice I feel like giving them a big sloppy kiss for taking my word for it

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pisang For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (30-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I went from having a European maiden name which consisted of two words and was forever having to automatically spell it to people, then pronounce it and then tell of it's origin. I always used to joke that I hoped to marry a man with a 'normal', anglicised name. Well I did, but I don't think I have ever had to spell my surname more, go figure! It is a common name with a few variants of spelling and every.single.time. the spelling will be the wrong one, so there went my theory of having a 'normal' surname being easier!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My name is Liia, which is an Estonian name pronounced like Leah. However, when I'm on the phone to people somehow I get lila, lily, Lisa, lana, lada, lina, Claire. I'm constantly being asked if I spelled it correctly. Thank goodness my surname is very common, but people are always leaving out the e!

Every time I go an appointment now I know instantly to respond if someone calls out Lisa, lila, lilia, or just stares at the paper confused lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silentrockfaery View Post
    My name is Liia, which is an Estonian name pronounced like Leah. However, when I'm on the phone to people somehow I get lila, lily, Lisa, lana, lada, lina, Claire. I'm constantly being asked if I spelled it correctly. Thank goodness my surname is very common, but people are always leaving out the e!

Every time I go an appointment now I know instantly to respond if someone calls out Lisa, lila, lilia, or just stares at the paper confused lol
    I'll admit, I read that as Lila until you said how it it's pronounced
    Now that I have read it properly, I love that spelling!

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I'll admit, I read that as Lila until you said how it it's pronounced
    Now that I have read it properly, I love that spelling!
    I read it as L-Wtf until I read the Leah afterward and now I don't understand how I didn't see it! I too love the spelling

Sent from my talky stick

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sam4frankie View Post
    I am one of three people in the world (that I can find) who have my first name. My parents made up my name, and I hated it as a kid!

Some of the choice comments I have received as an adult are:

Are you serious?
    No really, what's your name?
    Were your parents on drugs?
    That sounds like a name off Jerry Springer!
    Are you (insert race/ethnicity here)?

It can really be quite insulting. I don't care of people don't say it right, or spell it correctly. It's a handful of a name! But it is a bit annyoing that most people in my own family still can't spell it right!

Oh, and the most popular mis-pronunciation makes it sound like a total stripper name...
    Haha I'd really love to know what it is!!! I'm so nosey!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Twoalready For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (30-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoalready View Post
    Haha I'd really love to know what it is!!! I'm so nosey!!
    It's a gorgeous name

10. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

littlelove  (02-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My married name is horrendous.
    It's a internal body part. So I say it an there is a silence.. And then I have to describe the body part 'yep__like the x body part' so they know they heard correctly.

I went from a lovely Scottish maiden name to this monstrosity! Things you do for love eh!

almai is offline "you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My name is a s h l e a.
    People often see the a a and the lsh in the middle and confuse it for Alesha... Which iv learnt to respond too. (1 of my old bosses called me Alesha for a whole year till I left!)
    I also get pronounciations like Ashley-ar or ash-Leah and most people spell it Ashley.
    But it's just pronounced like Ashleigh but spelt differently. Alot of my family members get it wrong.. it never really bothers me to be honest but what does annoy me is when people Facebook me, and spell it wrong! My name is clearly spelt right above where you are typing and yet you can't take 2 seconds to check the spelling?!
    My surname is also 'tricky' for people and I'm so used to spelling my 1st name then 2nd name (and now street name!!)
    Soon I'll be changing surnames to DP's name but people always ask for that spelling too and it's pretty straight forward... People are funny. Still doesn't actually bother me though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Story of my life having people pronounce my name wrong!! My name is Kirsten (said 'keersten' like 'beer' or 'ear') but everyone always says 'Kursten.' Even if I introduce myself and say my name, people will still repeat back 'oh hi KURsten!' Or 'Kristen.' So annoying! I also get that from Australians that my name is actually KURsten but because I'm American, we are the ones that say the 'Keer.' False! Americans say 'Kur' as well, it's because my dad is from Denmark and the 'keersten' pronunciation is very popular and common in Scandinavia. I won't even go into my maiden name or middle name (more hard Danish ones!). My married surname is super easy. It actually took me a while to come to terms with changing it because I felt it'd be weird having a name I didn't have to spell or explain! I used to hate my names growing up, having to spell them, etc. but now I think they're quite pretty.
    Last edited by Kirst33; 31-03-2013 at 10:11.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast