+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My name always trips ppl up. It's really not that hard! Even Elle as my nn I still end up as Ellie, Ella, Ally...

My married name is two syllables and so phonetically correct but ppl try all sorts of variations and constantly ask where it's from and then how long I've lived here. :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love the name Kobi

My partner's name is VERY unusual... to the point where he's almost certainly the only one in Australia with it. The only time we've found someone else with the same name was a Spanish (i think) artist... and it was pronounced differently. I love his name, and so does he, but it got to a point as a teenager that he was SO sick of having to spell/explain every time someone heard it. He now goes by 'Jay'. Far easier, people rarely ask him about it.

It still bugs me when I tell people his name and they make the same annoying assumption/joke that everyone else does (hard to explain without saying the name).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have a really unusual name, probably the only one in aust. I have to pronounce my name a hundred times to people, then spell it for them, then tell them how i got the name. Its beyond annoying. Though id much prefer to be one of a kind than have a name every one else has. It used to annoy me at school, not so much now. If I'm in a loud place i don't even bother with my name, i just use my middle name.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I share my surname with an extremely well know p0rn star from the 70's and 80's. I can't say my surname without some sort of p0rn related comment! I've even had people call me by her first name (!) instead of my own name! I wish DP would hurry up and marry me so I can change it lmao

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My surname is long, and hyphenated. I always get the spelling mixed up. they add letters or mistake them for others, forget I it has double, double letters.... They ask which was mums and which was dads, why didn't they just give me dads name.

It is my dads name. Its been that way since the 1800's. And I hate having to spelling it wheled of fortune style... "a for apple, double p for peter. R for robert.

Oh! And you wouldnt believe the people who don't know what a hyphen is! ... "hypen...how do you spelling that one?" Me: ...um.. You don't, its the little line like a minus. And yet I have still received underscores and commas!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (01-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My last name is Hall... I seriously have to spell it out to ppl every other day.. like hello it has 4 letters no it starts with H not P not Wh... oh yeah i had a woman ask me why i havnt changed my name because really who lets their kid run around with the surname Wh***...
    Everyone gets my first name wrong too. im always saying no A just L.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My name is a popular dogs name so Im used to "OHHHH I had a dog named that" or something along those lines. People also try and fancy it up and it bugs me....think along the lines of Sarah (Ser-rah) and people saying 'Sar-rah'. I always hated it. Whenever I make an appointment or anything I just say my name and spell it without them asking because 9 times out of 10 people get it wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been spelling my first name out since I can remember, I have a way of saying it to emphasise the unexpected letter. I find I have to get in quick cos if I wait until they've already had a go at the spelling they say 'oh well, that'll do!' And I say um no, cos that's not me and this needs to be legal. Grr! (Em ay dee ee el AY eye en ee)
    My surname is common and I rarely have to spell it out. But my DP's name is a common name with an uncommon spelling... So as soon as we get hitched ill be constantly saying 'no its Winsor, no d!' Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my names cause people difficulty. The first was uncommon when I was growing up but is more common now. People always got it wrong - come on people, it's a country & a state in the US! My surname is foreign but pronounced exactly as its spelt.

I spell my surname automatically without waiting to be asked. If they ask how to spell my first name, I say 'just the traditional way' & still get loads of blank looks!

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
    I'm Jessica. I prefer Jess, hate Jessie.

My last name is Japanese and so many people don't even bother to attempt it because it looks foreign. It's very simple, pronounced exactly how it's spelled but often people don't even get the first letter right. I actually think it's a bit racist tbh.
    Lol how is this racist?! It's ignorant or culturally insensitive but it ain't racist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My name is m e l i n d a.

People cannot get it tigether. I get

Melonie. Melissa. Belinda. Miranda. Matilda.

And if i try to tell people to call me Mel i get Nell.

Drives me insane.