+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How do you organise your kids toys?

Do they have access to all of them at all times or do you let them play with one box at a time etc? Do they have heaps of toys or are you like me - a total minimalist?! Do you arrange intoto specific boxes like all blocks together, all drawing stuff together or are they all mixed up?

DDs toys are all in plastic storage boxes and i used to keep them under her bed but she just kept pulling them all out all the time so now they are in her wardrobe (which she cant open herself) and i give her a "mixed" box each day and change them around so she doesnt get bored.

Toys all over the house were driving me nuts!

So what do you all do? And pics if you can!! I need some inspiration

Thanks
    Reviews
    Minimalist . Kids don't need heaps .

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to happygirl1982 For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (29-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With 3 girls we have accumulated a bit so I do a frequent cull- and the girls never even notice which just proves my point that they don't need much. They've got a few favourite things which get played with a lot.

Toys are organised and most are kept in the wardrobes, out of sight so they're not bothering me!

We have 2 nice canvas tubs in the lounge room. One has baby toys and the other has dolls and all their accessories. The toys in the tub cannot get mixed up. Nooo!

Drawing things have their own container, so do barbies, blocks and littlest pet shop etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    My boys toys are all organised into plastic storage boxes and they each have one of those shelves with little boxes in their rooms that have their favourite less bulky toys in it. They dont have access to all toys, they know they have to clean up one thing before being allowed another.

My kids have an insane amount of toys (2 boys 2 years apart and family who go insane at birthdays and xmas means we actually have triplicate of some toys! Dont even get me started on how many items of clothing they have!) So this is the only way to make sure we dont have an absolute pigsty at all times, especially now we dont have a toyroom anymore (new babies room)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have them all separated into different containers.
    I have majority of there toys in toy room except a few special ones that go into there rooms.
    I have a rule on container each at a time ( normally they play with the same stuff)
    They have a lot of toys all though I'm slowing culling them

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1364556080.722043.jpg

This is some of the bookcases

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunkx For This Useful Post:

Blue Dragon  (30-03-2013),SoThisIsLove  (29-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I only allow one toy box in my daughters room (she is almost 3) and she also has a couple of bigger toys in her room that don't fit in the toy box (eg. a dolls pram). I continually throw away or pack into storage boxes, the toys she has grown out of or are broken.
    She is allowed to bring some toys into the lounge room but they must go back in her room once she has finished playing with them.
    I can't stand having toys all over the house, it just looks messy and cluttered.
    I am considering swapping her toy box for an ikea expedit shelving unit. However I am not sure if they are a bit cheap looking

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TeBe For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm pretty minimalist. One tub of duplo, one of wooden trains in the living room cubes in the Expedit in the bedroom with the following in each:

-figurines (Cars, Superheroes, Octonauts, Lego Minifigures- all in their own individual containers
    -Puzzles/games
    -costumes
    -instruments
    -craft stuff
    -matchbox cars
    -soft toys
    -miscellaneous toys

Then a small handful of larger toys like the Octopod, and a few Little People things (dollhouse, aeroplane), and a garage/car track thing.

And then one bucket of baby toys in the living room.

So everything has a very specific place. Handy when you have a child who always wants you to find very specific things!

He has access to everything all the time. But I encourage one activity at a time, so one thing needs to be packed up if he wants to play with something else.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive tried the one container at a time rule but as dd is only 2.5 she doesnt quite get it yet so ive found allowing one mixed box which i change each day works best for now. Of course she has access to her faves like her doll, dolls pram, dolls house and keyboard at all times

So far i have the following containers

Dress ups
    crafts / drawing etc
    music
    blocks
    soft toys
    misc toys
    supermarket toys - play food and cash register

so i just take a few things from each and a few books for each days mixed toy box.

Keep the ideas coming and thanks for the pic bunkx!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS has tons! Luckily we have a back sunroom /play room that I keep all his toys in so I don't have toys all around the house ( just stuffed animals and a bookcase in his room ) - they are just in those Ikea storage shelves and his bikes/trikes , musical instruments, blackboard and play dough stuff is in there as well - he has access to them any time really and will play in their for hours if i let him!

I did attempt to sort them in the beginning but they are in no order now and DS knows exactly where everything is- DH said today we might cull a lot of them this weekend

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I found this to be the best storage for dress ups

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1364556627.954745.jpg

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunkx For This Useful Post:

Blue Dragon  (30-03-2013),SoThisIsLove  (29-03-2013)