+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toilet training question

How long or does it take long for kids to be able to hold it after starting toilet training? For example they say they need To go and you have a minute or two to get them there.
    We started toilet training dd1 today and I am completely inexperienced about how it all works but I think we had good success . It just made me think about going food shopping or something and being in the middle of an aisle and she needs to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry I am not sure, I am struggling to train my 2 year old. He cries and tenses up when put him on toilet! Did you use a potty? What your toddler scared or happy when put on the toilet/potty?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been quite surprised at how long DD can hold it for. Last week, we were in the exact situation you described - at the supermarket with a basket full of groceries and I hear, "wee-o-wee-o-wee-o-wee!!". I didn't want to stop in the middle of the shopping, so I got the last few items, scanned everything, paid, then found a toilet. Probably took 10 minutes and no accident. Phew!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cdro For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (30-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it depends on the child....... My niece for instance could only give her parents about 30 seconds warning, so when she needed to go, she needed to go NOW!! My daughter could hold for HOURS so shopping/car trips were no problem. DS (2.5) decided he was ready for TT last weekend, and can hold ages as well. He can even hold 12 hours at night...... But other kids at his FDC only get a couple of seconds warning. His carer has this small pop-up potty that she carries around with her so if they are driving she can just pull over, or at the shops etc (she also takes a bottle of water and Pineocleen wipes...)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (30-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tubster View Post
    Sorry I am not sure, I am struggling to train my 2 year old. He cries and tenses up when put him on toilet! Did you use a potty? What your toddler scared or happy when put on the toilet/potty?

My dd is 2 also. We took her to the shops and got her all excited about going to get a potty and got a princess one an made out like it was the most exciting present ever. that was about a month ago and then we just let her sit on it whenever fully clothed and nude as well. Then yesterday we made a big deal about how she can use her big girl princess potty today because shes a princess etc then carried the potty into whatever room we were in so it was only Ever a few steps away. We tried the toilet first before buying a potty but because she can't give us much warning it wouldn't work ( I have a 3 month old as well ) . We also reward with a sticker for a sticker chart, chocolate treat (mini m& m) and dance ( you're a big girl now and did a wee in the potty, YAY!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    From memory my kids were about 3 before they could hold on for a while. Although it was probably more that by 3-ish they were able to recognise and then verbalise that they needed to go before it became urgent lol.

I used to carry a pull up with me everywhere and if they needed to go NOW I'd just whip it on them where we were. More than once in target I've yanked the knickers off and the pull up on (toilets are at the other end of the centre so there was no hope of getting there in time ). I do have girls though so it's quick and easy to do that when they're wearing dresses, might take a fraction longer with boys!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wktz For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (30-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dd1 was TT at 16-17 mths old and could hold on reasonably 1-2hrs from about 1-2wks later. By 1mth later she could verbalize wees and poos and could hold on 2-3min so we could dash to the toilet. We used lots of knickers if out and about.

After 3mths so 21-22 mths old she could wait up to 5min to use the toilet.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (30-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wktz View Post
    From memory my kids were about 3 before they could hold on for a while. Although it was probably more that by 3-ish they were able to recognise and then verbalise that they needed to go before it became urgent lol.

I used to carry a pull up with me everywhere and if they needed to go NOW I'd just whip it on them where we were. More than once in target I've yanked the knickers off and the pull up on (toilets are at the other end of the centre so there was no hope of getting there in time ). I do have girls though so it's quick and easy to do that when they're wearing dresses, might take a fraction longer with boys!
    That's a great idea I hadnt thought of taking pull ups out for an emergency wee. What a good idea