+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default "Absent" Nasal Bone

Hi All! I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if I warble on a bit I am 34yo and 18 weeks pregnant with our 2nd child. Our first child is almost 10. We were told several times over the years that that would be it for us unless we were prepared to go down the IVF route. We left it alone and decided we were lucky to have our daughter, and so carried on with life. Low and behold back in DEC I fell pregnant naturally - and surprisingly . So that's a bit of background. The reason for this post is that we have just had our 20 week scan - albeit at 18 weeks, as we are on holidays at the moment and so the hospital brought the scan forward. The scan showed "nasal bone cartilage, but no calcification". I was in there for 1.5 hours as they were struggling to get the image due to baby's position. The following 10 minutes were a blur as we were moved from room to room and ended up in the genetic counsellor asking us if we might consider termination. It was an incredibly traumatic experience and both my husband and I are still pretty shell-shocked. Needless to say, we are not enjoying our holiday and are really stressed out by the news. We are also extremely confused because the 12 week screening scan & bloods, etc were completely normal. The scanner and subsequent doctor also commented on what a "prefect little nose" the baby had. There are no other markers either. I don't want to have the amnio because it scares me. Someone told me about a blood test you can have - cell free foetal DNA test - which is accurate (but $$$). Our heads are spinning and we do not know if we are being over paranoid about the whole thing. The way it was handled/we were treated at the hospital felt very clinical and almost like "box ticking" on the hospitals part. Is this something the hospital has to do when the pregnancy falls in to the "absent nasal bone" category. What are the realistic chances of DS? We can't relax and our daughter is starting to notice that something's not right. We need some reassurance if anyone can help...I keep getting teary and just feel awful about everything. We feel terrible

Thanks
    Reviews
    First of all big to you, I can imagine how stressed you and your DH are.

Have you spoken to your ob at all?. It sounds to me as though the hospital didn't really know what they were doing, so hard as it is I would try not to panic too much until you speak to the ob and see what they think. They would have a much better idea than the sonographer. It can be very difficult to get accurate results if bub is moving around so much, so the fact that they tried for so long does make me wonder how much they were really able to see. For all you know your baby has a perfect little nose bone but they just weren't able to pick it up!.

Secondly, 18 weeks is quite early and it can be very difficult to see bub in enough detail, especially if they are moving around. I know I had to go back with one of mine for another scan because the dr just couldn't see what he wanted to see at 18 weeks. He told me then that even another week makes a big difference.

Why on earth the hospital would have mentioned termination to you based on that is beyond me. I suspect they were either trying to cover up that they hadn't done a good scan or it was an a*s covering exercise, I.e if they haven't got sufficient information to say bubs is fine now and it turns out something is wrong they can at least say they discussed all options with you.

Honestly, I think it sounds as though your baby is just fine and is either too small right now or was moving around too much for the scan to be accurate. If your 12 week scan looked good then even better. I know that wont help with the worrying though. Hopefully you can try to relax and enjoy your holiday a bit

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would see if you could get another scan done. Your baby was in a bad position so they may not have got a great image.

Big hugs xxx

4. The Following User Says Thank You to amazonbaby For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (30-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have to agree. First and foremost get another scan. It is very distressing that they rushed you to consider a termination so quickly, especially as your 12 week test came to so good. It makes no sense to me and I would be asking for a second opinion.

Give your ob a call. I know my ob was available for emergencies even on public holidays and considering what you have been told...it's an emergency.

I know it's easy to say on this end but please don't stress out. From my understanding (I am no doctor) is that your 12 weeks scan and bloods combined for abnormalities like DS and other trisomys are discovered then....and if bubs nuchal fold was thin and a nasal bone present all signs point to no issues....also combined with your bloods there should be no issues especially if they gave your the all clear.

Not sure when you are back at home and can book in for another scan but definitely give your obs a call....as it was so had to get a good look at bubs I would be asking for another scan.

All the best and try not to worry!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am doing the NT testing this week, well did the BT lastwek and then the scan is this upcoming Wednesday. I know that if any stage somethin comes up abnormal or of concern I would definitely begetting a second opinion and another scan. Hope everything works out for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry they have out you in such a position.

Most places don't like to do anatomy ultrasounds until after 19 weeks as the bub needs to be a nice big size and everything needs to be clear.

Wait until you have another scan, preferably from elsewhere that is more professional and know what they are doing.

The fact that you had a great NT result and the rest of the anatomy ultrasound was perfect you might not have anything to worry about. The fact they have come out and talked about termination for really no proper reason is rather strange???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    What a horrible thing for the hospital to do! I agree with past posters and schedule another scan and talk to your ob. Goodluck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for all the quick replies. Has calmed us down considerably! I have just been down the hotel concierge and am going to the prince court hospital tomorrow morning here in KL where I can get a scan done by an OB. Next stop is the UK where I am sure I can also get a scan done. Will definately keep you posted....fingers crossed all will be fine!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucyfe2013 For This Useful Post:

FluffyDucks  (29-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm glad to hear you have managed to organise another scan. For my NT scan I went to my hospital which most people do in the public system. At the time I thought that the sonograper didn't seem very confident but didnt worry about it as we got a very low risk result. It wasnt until 2 weeks later that I discovered that particular sonographer wasn't even certified to perform NT scans!!! I couldn't believe that a hospital would let someone unqualified perform such an important scan. So for my 19 week scan a paid alot of money to go somewhere that only let senior sonographers or very experienced drs perform the scan and they were always reviewed by top drs before the results were released.
    Anyway my point is sometimes the hospital does not do the right thing especially in your case where they have mentioned termination based on not being able to find a nasal bone. Did they identify the nasal bone at your 12 week scan as that's something they usually look for?
    i really hope your next scan goes well and am sorry you have had to be put through this. It is so horrible to worry that something is wrong with your baby especially when your baby is more likely perfectly healthy and you have just had the misfortune of having an inexperienced sonogrpaher perform the scan.
    Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck with our next scan, that's great hat it can be done by an ob. they can see enough to reassure you