+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Applying for uni - QLD

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to draw on all you wise hubbers experiences because I have no idea where to start!.

It's been maaaaaaany years since I was at uni. That was in Victoria and I now live in Brisbane. I'm hoping to start a graduate diploma in teaching next year (undecided whether to do primary or early years) but I'm not at all familiar with the qld tertiary education system or processes. Can anyone please help me out with the following questions:

How do I find out which uni's offer this course?
    How can I find out a little about the course outline at each uni (I believe there is a book released each year by QTAC? But not sure where to get it or how comprehensive it is). I believe the grad diploma is becoming a 2 year course but I don't even know how to confirm this.
    How do you actually apply for the course? Is it through QTAC?
    Does anyone know time frames, ie roughly when do applications need to be submitted and when do you find out whether you were accepted or not?

Also (getting a bit ahead of myself here) but if you are accepted, when do you find out your timetable for classes etc?. I'm wondering about that time frame for daycare reasons- I realise the course will be full time but I'm hoping to get away with daycare for 4 days, however I won't be able to drop the 5th day (if at all) until I know when I have to be on campus however I will have to pay for it from the beginning of jan

And any other information that you think I might need to know!.

Thank you so much for any information anyone can give me. I realise that teaching is probably an unfortunate path to follow, given that there is an oversupply of teachers around, but after completing a career counselling course last year it's become apparent that this is really what I should be doing, so I feel like I have to give it a try!.

Thanks again
    Last edited by wktz; 29-03-2013 at 16:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go to the 3 main unis websites (Griffith , UQ and QUT) and look at the course on there. It will give you all the info you need.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashram For This Useful Post:

wktz  (29-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am doing a Graduate Diploma of Education (Middle Years) through QUT this year, and you are correct in your information that it is changing from a one year course to a two year course.

This is the last year you can begin the one year course, so if you wait until next year you will be doing the two year course. Anyone studying a one-year Grad Dip needs to have it completed by the end of 2014 and apply for registration as a teacher at that time, or it will no longer be considered valid. IIRC, QUT only offers a mid-year intake for Senior Years for this year. I do not know if any other institutions offer a mid-year intake for Early Years or Primary Years.

IIRC,through QUT, Primary is offered as internal or external, and Early Years is offered internal only. I am doing my course externally but am finding the internet system rather difficult to use. In hindsight, I think I would've been better off choosing internal instruction instead.

As a middle years student, I was only required to attend one day (Thursday) during O-week. However the Primary/Early Years students were required to attend all five days during O-week.

A full time course currently consists of four units each semester. Three of those units are regular subjects, and if you are studying them internally I would expect you would be attending a lecture and a tutorial for each subject. The fourth is a prac subject. You could perhaps manage to get your lectures and tutorials across two or three days, but it is possible for you to be unlucky enough to have them spread across all five days.

For my one-year grad dip, my first prac consists of 22 days (one day one week, one day the second week, then four weeks full time - 5 days per week). My second prac (in semester two) is 33 days so probably includes six weeks full time, but I am not certain about that. I would hazard a guess that the two-year grad dip wont include prac for the first semester, but would likely include three units of prac for the remaining three semesters. This guess could be completely wrong.

When I searched the QTAC website for the course, I discovered that there were several universities offering it, including some religeous based colleges. I have heard some people mention that some of the other unis might allow direct admission, but QUT required admission via QTAC. Consult QTAC for all the date cutoffs.

----------

I believe subject allocations are fairly late, probably during O-week, so that means you will not know which days you will require care for until early February. Also, even if lectures and tutorials are condensed into only a few days, when you go on prac you will need care for five days a week.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 29-03-2013 at 17:11.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

wktz  (29-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sweetseven thank you SO much for your response, that gives me heaps to think about (thanks to Ashram too, I didn't really know which other uni's there were besides QUT lol).

Sorry if this is a silly question, but what is IIRC please?.

I'll see if I can find any uni's that do a mid year intake, but unfortunately I don't think it will be an option for me because I'm restricted by daycare availability this year. Next year when dd2 hits the kinder room there are a lot more places available so I'll be able to get her in full time.

It will be interesting to see how the course changes by becoming two years, as from the little I know about it it does seem to me that there is an awful lot to fit into a year at the moment. How are you finding it?. Do you feel as though the one year course will prepare you enough to start teaching?. I was a bit worried that if I did the one year course I would come out and still have no idea what I was doing (that's just me personally, I'm sure lots of people have done it and are brilliant teachers!).

I knew that there was a prac component, but I'm hoping that DH can take off the 5th day in the week when I'm on prac and mind DD2 - apart from the daycare fees I don't really want her there full time if I can avoid it, and I think it will do him good to have a taste of what being at home is like .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    IIRC = if I recall correctly

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

wktz  (29-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I forgot to mention, as part of my prac, I need to submit a journal of 50 hours of "wider community experience" and it can include activities that occurred up to two years prior to enrollment. So you might want to consider some volunteer roles now that will contribute to your "wider community experience" component of your prac unit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow, thanks for the heads up on that one.

What sort of activities count towards wider community experience?. Are they supposed to have an educational basis or is it more community service, ie volunteering at the salvos / RSPCA kind of thing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It needs to be related to QSA principles, but can include
    * helping out with your childs class at school
    * professional development courses
    * adult education

I haven't checked for certain but would expect attendance at playgroup to be included. I spoke to an existing teacher and she said she volunteered at the science centre.

I'm part of an amateur theatre group and hopeful that I'll be able to include that, but haven't checked for certain yet. I'm busy working on assignments at the moment so that takes precedence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm group leader at my playgroup and I do help out in the classroom occasionally (when I can find a friend to mind DD2) so I might start keeping a log....I'd hate to have to find 50 hours at the last moment.

Thanks again for your advice, I really appreciate it. Good luck with your assignments!