+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is there anything I can do to stop my 11 month old reaching down my top to pinch my n

I bed share and breast feed my 11 month old and for the past few weeks have been trying to get her out of the habit of feeding to sleep. This was going great, I'd changed her routine to fed, bath, bed and she'd do a bit of wriggling and fall asleep in about 15 20 mins. Until she started to sneak her hands down my top and pinch my nipples! It seems as though she's doing it as a comfort thing and no matter how many times I take her hand out of my top she puts them back!

I've tried wearing tops she can't get her hands down, I've tried turning away from her so she can't reach, I've tried giving her a soft toy, I've tried letting her fall asleep with just my husband but she wont have it and it usually ends in a screaming session from her, which is horrible.

She even does it in her sleep o_0 I'm at a complete loss!! I feel as though I'm going to have to either stop breast feeding or bed sharing if it continues, it's so annoying having her constantly grab at my nipples, not to mention painful! She's not trying to get at them to feed either, because once she's got her hands on one she calms down and will fall asleep.

The past few days have been even worse, as it seems she's now needing to literally climb on top on me and grab my nipple to fall asleep. No matter how many times I take her off, tell her it hurts and to please stop and lay her back down next to me, she still keeps doing it, it goes on for hours and I'm torn between letting her so she doesn't miss out on so much sleep and stopping her because its uncomfortable for me.

Hopefully someone has some advice for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS2 did this!!! It was SOOOO annoying!!
    I started wearing turtleneck shirts to bed. That helped a lot, he would still try and stick his hand down through the neck (!!!) but it took him longer so I had time to push his hand away. My DS was about 2yo when this was happening. So that helped the nights (we were cosleeping), but days it was still happening, all the time. Unfortunately I don't have any fab advice, he did it for soooo long, I just would have to keep moving his hand away. He would do it in public all the time LOL, that was the worst bit.
    Anyway the bit that I hated the most was the touching of the actual nipple, so if he stuck his hand down there but didn't touch the nipple I would just give him a warning look, so eventually he knew that if he didn't touch the nipple then he could get his comfort touch in. (He didn't have a dummy or any other comfort item, my chest was it!). He's now eventually worked his way up higher a bit, so now he just pats my chest, kind of just at the edge of my bra, so not really down lower anymore. He doesn't do it as often either. Maybe once a day or so. But hate to tell you, he is 5yo, so no quick-fix here I'm afraid!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

RandR  (29-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    My DS2 did this!!! It was SOOOO annoying!!
    I started wearing turtleneck shirts to bed. That helped a lot, he would still try and stick his hand down through the neck (!!!) but it took him longer so I had time to push his hand away. My DS was about 2yo when this was happening. So that helped the nights (we were cosleeping), but days it was still happening, all the time. Unfortunately I don't have any fab advice, he did it for soooo long, I just would have to keep moving his hand away. He would do it in public all the time LOL, that was the worst bit.
    Anyway the bit that I hated the most was the touching of the actual nipple, so if he stuck his hand down there but didn't touch the nipple I would just give him a warning look, so eventually he knew that if he didn't touch the nipple then he could get his comfort touch in. (He didn't have a dummy or any other comfort item, my chest was it!). He's now eventually worked his way up higher a bit, so now he just pats my chest, kind of just at the edge of my bra, so not really down lower anymore. He doesn't do it as often either. Maybe once a day or so. But hate to tell you, he is 5yo, so no quick-fix here I'm afraid!
    Thanks for your reply! Its absolutely my own fault! I thought it was quite sweet when she first started, so I didn't really try and stop her, but her little fingers are so strong it's so painful when she pinches!! I might have to start with turtle necks as well, now that it's getting cooler in Melbourne!!

Absolutely it's just the nipple pinching/rolling that's the problem! It's just painful! Last night she got her hands down and under my arm, which was fine because her little hand was sort of trapped there and she was happy with it and so was I!

Ohh I totally understand them getting down your top in public! My husband and I went swimming with her the other week and she pretty much pulled my bikini top off!! My husband thought it was hilarious!! Embarrassing!

I guess I'm just going to have to find a happy medium for the both of us, as long as I can stop her grabbing my nipple I'll be fine, lol!!!